Post off topic threads here.
#66498 by wolverine
Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:43 am
Anyone else receiving this notification on your taskbar asking to reserve your copy which becomes available this July?
Just wondering how this new version might act with DataCad.
#66499 by joshhuggins
Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:45 am
Yeah got one last night. I ran the tech preview w/ Datacad 17 without any issues.
#66505 by joshhuggins
Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:24 pm
It's been stable driver wise on my two systems since the first tech preview. It still needs a bit more polish in my opinion, but it's miles ahead of Windows 8.1 FWIW. And thank the maker the icons are back to normal! :D
#66648 by Ted B
Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:18 am
Anyone getting feedback on how stable Windows 10 will be for Datacad 16 and earlier users?

I don't have the time as a one-man/one-PC office to learn all the intimate and gruesome details of Windows arcana, I don't even use the Windows 8.1 interface...that damned blue start screen and mysterious icons.

And I certainly find disquieting the rumors that Microsoft is going to a subscription system, and will demand money every few months just to use the Windows OS. I'm already nervous that I'll sit-down at the PC one morning and getting a screen message, "Congratulations on being automatically upgraded to Windows 10, send us money within 7 days or your PC goes blank and all your files will be gone FOREVER". In the old days that was considered extortion...
#66649 by joshhuggins
Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:11 pm
#66651 by Robert Scott
Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:01 pm
Following this thread with interest as the new machine I just ordered will have W7 Pro on it with a free upgrade to 10.
I found work arounds for W8 but it was still a PITA especially when I hit the windoze button with my fat fingers by mistake :)
#66689 by joshhuggins
Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:02 pm
#66692 by Ted B
Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:46 pm
Josh,
Thanks for the cogent analysis. Wood post-and-beam construction I understand thoroughly, gaff-sail boat-rigging I understand, computers just-enough to do basic tasks. The rest just scares me at-times. Even attempting back-ups makes me nervous that I'll screw-it-up. And yet I use mine everyday for hours....

I still use a manual typewriter, index cards, and snail mail.

When it comes to computer-tech I have to rely on the kindness of strangers . . . and friends.
#66797 by Robert Scott
Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:07 am
Just received delivery of a custom built rig with W7 Pro installed and I could not be happier.
The option for "free W8" is their but no one is forcing me to go that route. Like all new software issues I play it safe and let others do the
Beta testing before I jump on board.

Robert