Post off topic threads here.
#66544 by joshhuggins
Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:08 pm
Anyone have any books or websites they would recommend on complex roof framing methods primarily for residential? I would like to broaden my scope of roof designs and have a resource handy other than Google which is less than handy on the topic. Don't need the basics and searching thru Amazon hasn't really turned up anything that has peaked my interest. Thanks!
#66545 by tigere
Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:00 am
Hi Josh
Couple of suggestions - Journal of Light Construction -Framing Guide/ or a Speed square with a handbook /or Framing Square (complete Tables on bars) with handbook ... I used all of these for training hands on no frills before I 'd let the guys get calculators.
Tigere
Roger Pingree
#66592 by Robert Scott
Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:42 am
Hi Josh,

My "go to" book on residential framing is:
Graphic Guide to Frame Construction: Details for Builders and Designers (For Pros By Pros) Paperback – January 1, 2009
by Robert Thallon (Author)
http://tinyurl.com/qaxyb4a

Another book that look really interesting (I have not ordered it yet) is:
Roof Framing
by Marshall Gross (Author)
http://tinyurl.com/p68hv52

In addition: Anything by Taunton Press or Journal of Light Construction.

Your best bet might be to find an old timer and buy him lunch :)

Let us know what you find out. This is an area I also have interest in. Typically I rough out the roof and hand it over to an engineer.

Bob
#66594 by joshhuggins
Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:59 am
Thanks guys! Forgot about JLC, and I had Graphic Guide to Frame Construction show up several times so I think I'll pick that up as well.

Robert Scott wrote:Typically I rough out the roof and hand it over to an engineer.
darth-vader-nooooo.jpg
darth-vader-nooooo.jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 6707 times

:lol:
#66595 by Robert Scott
Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:14 pm
OR...just show a roof plan and some elevations and have your truss company figure a package :)