Post off topic threads here.
#67142 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:31 pm
I have a sandwich shop TI down in the LA area that I was told by the landlord early on that they didn't have natural gas available to the suite. Since we didn't (and the tenant didn't want to use gas anyway) we designed the HVAC and water heating to be via electric appliances. The plan check came back questioning the use of electrical and requested a change to gas. I responded back that, per the landlord, there wasn't gas available; the plan checker then stated that he KNEW there was natural gas there and that we MUST change our systems to gas. Another query to the landlord elicited an "Oops ... we mis-spoke - there IS gas available." Well, no matter - there isn't anything (that I've ever found) in the California energy codes that demand one over the other when both are available.

I asked the permit expeditor (who is running the back check through) to ask the plan checker for the code citation requiring this. If it's code, okay - we'll change it. If it's a personal feeling, no - we won't change it.

The permit expeditor just sent me the code citation that the plan checker gave them ... from the **Residential** section of the standards!!! I can't believe the audacity (stupidity?) of the plan checker trying to pull something as lame as this off on me!

Wow ... all I can say right now is "Wow!"
#67146 by joshhuggins
Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:47 pm
Reply back with that it's a multifamily sandwich shop so it's exempt just to mess with them. :P
#67147 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:57 pm
Ohh, you are BAADDDD!!!! :twisted:
#67153 by Robert Scott
Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:45 am
Wow....I really feel for you guys on the left coast. And to think this is a swing state that determines who winds national elections ;)
Just one of the many reasons I may have drawn my last set of "blueprints".

Best of luck with this one...let us know if you "win".

Bob
#67154 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:04 pm
How about the required pool covers for hotel pools that are open 24 hours. The pool will never be covered but Santa Barbra is requiring one as a means to help with water evaporation loss. :evil: