Post off topic threads here.
#67155 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:13 pm
Found out about this CISA from a podcast I listen to. Good ol' Autodesk seems to be on board. I haven't dug too deep into this yet but at face value it seems pretty sleezy and like a violation of US constitutional rights as these companies sell our rights for privacy for a free pass to the company for violation our rights to give the gov our info WITHOUT proper court ordered information requests.

From the website: https://www.youbetrayedus.org

The following companies just betrayed billions of people.
Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, Symantec, and a handful of other tech companies just began publicly lobbying Congress to pass Cyber Threat Information Sharing legislation, like CISA, a bill that would give corporations total legal immunity when they share private user data with the government and with each other. Many of these companies have previously claimed to fight for their users' privacy rights, but by supporting this type of legislation, they've made it clear that they've abandoned that position, and are willing to endanger their users' security and civil rights in exchange for government handouts and protection.

What does it take for some of the biggest competitors in the tech industry to put their differences aside and sign a letter endorsing hugely unpopular surveillance legislation that's been lambasted by privacy groups and security experts? Sweeping legal immunity. Worse, these companies know that their customers hate CISA, and so they’re jumping into the water together, hoping there’s safety in numbers. After all, you can’t blame Microsoft if Apple is doing the same thing, right?

In the letter, these companies didn't come right out and say they were endorsing CISA. Instead, they asked Congress to "act promptly" to pass "Cyber Threat Information Sharing Legislation." But these companies aren't stupid. They know that the Senate will vote on CISA soon, and will use this letter as cover to say the tech industry supports it.

What's wrong with CISA?
If you’re not up to speed, CISA is a mass surveillance bill posing as a “cybersecurity” bill. Congress has been blindly scrambling to react to the OPM hacks, and their solution is a giveaway to the NSA and giant corporations:

All privacy policies effectively null and void. Companies can shareany private user data with the government, without a warrant, as long as the government says it is being used for a “cybersecurity” purpose. Data is shared with a wide array of government agencies, from the FBI and NSA, to the IRS and local law enforcement.

In exchange, companies are given blanket immunity from civil and criminal laws, like fraud, money laundering, or illegal wiretapping (if a violation was committed or exposed in the process of sharing data).

Companies that play along can get otherwise classified intelligence data from the government, including private information about their competitors.
#67353 by Ted B
Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:11 pm
Worse, several of the key software OS companies and search engine companies have been allowing Officials of the Peoples Republic of China to see and review their source code to "better defend" the Great Firewall of China. Meanwhile the cyber-war department of the PLA is hacking every database they want; governmental, military, banking, insurance -- and data-mining US private industry for intellectual property. And our "friends" in Brussels have torpedoed the US-European "safe harbor" data-transfer agreement, and threatened US Companies with sanctions. Between our Government, our "Friends" and our Frenemies; I feel less-safe than ever. Just as my clients are pushing the cloud, and my banks are pushing me about electronic banking and on-line payment transactions.

I'm feeling nostalgic for Pony Express mail and being paid-in-gold.