Post off topic threads here.
#67234 by Robert Scott
Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:45 pm
For those that doubt the capabilities of DataCAD 3D here's some images recently completed for fellow DC user Jim Goodman, AIA.
Jim and I have been working on several project recently with Jim providing DataCAD models converted to Sketchup that I've been enhancing and rendering using a varieties of tools.
On this particular project I used Sketchup, Thea Render, 3D Studio Max, Photoshop and Lightroom with the provided model being completed close to 90% in DataCAD by Jim.

I've really appreciated Jim pushing me to a new level proving that DC can indeed play nice with other software and that a couple of old dogs can learn some new tricks :)

https://flic.kr/s/aHskjFhXGz

Best,

Robert Scott
Attachments
Image 3.JPG
Image 2.JPG
Image 1.JPG
#67235 by joshhuggins
Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:54 pm
Lookin' real good boys!
#67236 by jimgoodman
Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:21 am
Thanks Josh.

Bob and I have established a great working relationship and work flow where he is able to take our concepts and initial modeling to the next level.

Below is the O2C of the original modeling

An here is a Sketchup view before Bob cleans up the texture maps, cameras, and most importantly, the lighting.
Storage Solutions Sacramento Office View 03 09-30-15.png
Attachments
O2C File
(360.12 KiB) Downloaded 693 times
#67237 by David A. Giesselman
Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:25 am
Man, you guys make my software look good! :shock:

Dave
#67238 by jimgoodman
Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:07 am
It would be much tougher without the software for sure. The ability to move back and forth between Sketchup and DataCAD is invaluable

Also, I am forever grateful for the alignment of the 2d/3d editing function keys. :D
#67299 by Nick Pyner
Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:19 pm
Great stuff.........

Is that toilet compliant with local handicapped access standards? Just curious....
#67305 by jimgoodman
Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:52 am
Nick Pyner wrote:Great stuff.........

Is that toilet compliant with local handicapped access standards? Just curious....

Indeed it is.
#67372 by ELIofVA
Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:36 am
When you import to Sketchup, do you explode the smart walls, doors and windows. I have been working on importing to sketchup and I am finding it tricky to edit the windows in sketchup. I have exploded the wall, no problem with explode into slabs in dcad 3d menu. However, the windows and doors, per dcad tech support (thank you) "Extract 2D/3D" in the Tools pull-down menu.
It will extract 3D entities from your Smart Walls/Windows/Doors and
create new layers with the 3D Entities." This tool creates new layers for the components. In sketchup, it creates a lot of groups that need to be individually exploded or edited in the group. I am have not been able to resotre transparency on the glass plane. Tips will be appreciated.

Eli
#67374 by jimgoodman
Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:09 am
ELIofVA wrote:When you import to Sketchup, do you explode the smart walls, doors and windows. I have been working on importing to sketchup and I am finding it tricky to edit the windows in sketchup. I have exploded the wall, no problem with explode into slabs in dcad 3d menu. However, the windows and doors, per dcad tech support (thank you) "Extract 2D/3D" in the Tools pull-down menu.
It will extract 3D entities from your Smart Walls/Windows/Doors and
create new layers with the 3D Entities." This tool creates new layers for the components. In sketchup, it creates a lot of groups that need to be individually exploded or edited in the group. I am have not been able to resotre transparency on the glass plane. Tips will be appreciated.

Eli

We don't use smart walls, doors, and windows, so I am not sure how they will export to SU.
For some reason, transparency doesn't come through in SU. You can go to the SU materials windows, find the glass materials, and adjust the transparency there.
#67376 by Robert Scott
Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:49 am
Keep in mind that groups and components are really a good thing in Sketchup. Be careful on exploding them too much.
The glass in this case, as Jim mentioned, is adjusted in Sketchup after import and I do an additional mapping in Thea Render for the final renderings.
I believe smart walls and windows have to be exploded prior to export to SU.

Robert
#67495 by melina
Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:32 pm
These are real nice!
I agree - I find the combo of DC/SU/Thea to be a real winner.