Post off topic threads here.
#69556 by Ted B
Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:31 pm
Just made the transition to Windows-10 -- thank the Gods Old and New -- so far everything 'important' is still working. Though I don't like the way the file-manager in FileExplorer handles 'recent folders'. Now I'm feeling a bit ambitious...

Anyone have a recommendation on +/- 10" touch-screen tablets for sketching details-and-such freehand? In addition just be to able to breakaway from the tyranny of my work-station desk, it would be handy to have something to freehand-sketch and doodle details on with a pen-stylus. I do that now on 4x4 graph-paper with a pencil or sign-pen marker, but then they have to be copied or .PDF-scanned -- or laboriously redrafted in Datacad. I'm inclined towards the Samsung Tabs or Pro-notes, but the apps don't seem very robust compared to an I-Pad and their "Paper"-app. I have an irrational innate antipathy towards Apple products, I've never owned one --- ever. But the I-Pad and artists-apps look enticing, and they have some great options for styluses for creative-types. I like the 10-inch-diaginal size for convenience and 'handiness'; and it's in-between a smartphone and a laptop in bulk and weight. And there's a number of interesting apps in that function-category that laptops can't access. I had an older HP laptop PC, and it was far from convenient as a portable resource. Too large, too heavy, too keyboard-centric -- and way too-official for sketching and doodling.

Plus, I'm being heavily leaned-on by a friend/important client to get more "paperless" as I'm drowning in manila file-folders -- and every thing I send his office needs to be .PDF or scanned since he's already 98% paperless. ...And they live-and-die on e-mail and attachment-files.

My sister is giving me an old Sprint Phantom smartphone that I'm going to use just as a WIFI device on my home-office network, but I'd like something larger for sketching and doing "research" on the Web without being tied to my work-station chair. Sometimes a change in "office scenery" helps when you're blocked...a nice "comfy chair" with a view, and one of the cats purring, can get the juices flowing again.

I'm feeling very 1997 this week....

_____
HP Tower running Windows-10 w/ 23" flatscreen
Datacad 18 (long-time Datacad user since the early 1990s?, I don't even remember how to use Autocad anymore.)
Sketchup-2015 (need to upgrade, yes...)
OpenOffice 4.1 suite and Quickbooks,
Epson WF-7620 11x17" copier/scanner/printer.
#69557 by joshhuggins
Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:33 pm
I would give a Microsoft Surface 3 or 4 Pro a look at for what you are describing. Their pens are really nice to draw with. I've had one on my wish list for a while now. I know most BestBuys have a demo area for them where you can test them. The Surface 4 would probably preform quite a bit better I'd guess. Not sure what stores you might have in your neck of the woods.

Though I don't like the way the file-manager in FileExplorer handles 'recent folders
Me neither. I have 4 registry edits that you can just double click to run from your PC that will remove most everything and get File Explorer looking more like Windows 7. I've collected these from multiple sources and verified they are safe to use with Windows 10 including the Anniversary Update released earlier today. Sometimes after a Windows 10 Update you will need to re-double click the registry Entry to reapply the fix, but that only happens a few times a year. I also turn off the Recent Items in the Quick Access Area as well under the Options dialog.

Remove All User Folders From This PC 64-bit: This Removes the large section of folders on the main part of the File Explorer screen when viewing Computer/This PC.

Remove OneDrive From Explorer Tree: Self explanatory.

Remove Removable Drives Icon: Removes the often duplicated removeable drive letters from the Navigation Pane.

Remove_Drives_from_Navigation_Pane: Similar to the one above.

Download Remove Windows 10 Recent Drives / Folders Registry Edits 16.8KB
Attachments
Options.JPG
File Explorer.JPG
#69590 by Dave
Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:16 am
Ted B wrote:So far it's looking like the Apple Ipad Pro 9.7" may be the way to go, but by the time I buy it and the 'necessary" accessories I'm pushing $1200 to $1500, which was not my intent.

Have you seen any of these

http://www.dove.co.nz/products/desktops-notebooks-and-servers/tablets-and-smartphones/13970

very much like the Microsoft Surface.

Dave
#69591 by David Porter
Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:27 am
I do sketching and photo mark-ups on my Samsung Android tablet using Autodesk (yes, I know, the evil company) SketchBook. It's actually a pretty cool, easy to use, FREE, program and can be used with a stylus or with fingers. I even have it on my Galaxy S7 and can do sketches on that, too.

You can import photos and then do mark-ups. It allows for exporting of sketches that can be sent out or stored in job files.