Post off topic threads here.
#70585 by Mark Bell
Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:00 pm
USA, Australia and New Zealand agree reciprocal architecture licensing allowing architects to work in any of the other countries that recognise the arch's licensing: ... _dezeen_sq
#70593 by Ted B
Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:30 am
They will recognize the License's validity under reciprocity ...but can you get a work permit?

Back in the late 1980s I was interested in moving to Australia, but to protect Australian Architects you couldn't get a work-permit as an Architect. You might qualify to emigrate under other criteria, but not be legally able to work for an architecture firm...ever. If I remember, the team that designed the new Parliament Building in Canberra was only allowed to send 6 American Staff-Architects to Australia for the entire project...everyone else on the team had to be an Australian national.

Being able to get a license isn't the same getting a work-visa or an immigration visa and remaining an Architect.
#70594 by Mark Bell
Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:20 am
Hello Ted,
I think times have changed particularly over last decade as we have had a prolonged building boom in most capital cities. Various governments have had to encourage overseas qualified immigration to keep up with demand (we're a big country but still small in population). Various programs have focused on the medical profession, construction industry and various other sectors where there is a recognised skill shortage.
I recall the MGT design for Parliament House as I was going through Uni at the time and it was in the architectural mags. Given that project was a competition for the Federal Government using tax payer dollars there is usually a requirement across all States and Territories over here for local governments and councils to include clauses such 'must includes X% local content, preference for Australian-made products, use of indigenous employees etc.'. I'm sure you'd have similar requirements over there to look after your own back yard?
In your situation, if you were emigrating to live here, you could apply to have your US NCARB reassessed by the AACA board here. In one of my previous design firms which was a multi-national, we had an overseas architect relocate to live here where he had his qualifications reassessed.
Pei-Cobb Freed have just completed a 20-something storey office tower in Darwin last year and to my knowledge did this under their US registration working in association with an Australian firm.
My reading of the article is it's a step closer to making it easier to work between recognised countries....I think the hardest thing would be getting my head around feet and inches~! :roll:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

About DataCAD Forum

The DataCAD Forum is a FREE online community we provide to enhance your experience with DataCAD.

We hope you'll visit often to get answers, share ideas, and interact with other DataCAD users around the world.


Software for AEC Professionals Since 1984