Post off topic threads here.
#70770 by MtnArch
Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:45 pm
Gotta love Acad ... NOT!!!

I created a site plan (in BricsCAD) from an original Acad DWG file that a big architectural firm created for a real estate developer I work with. Have not had any issues with reading, writing or printing it at all (it's not an AEC file - they only want DWG's and it's been easier to just leave it in DWG and use Bcad). The file is made up of simple 2D lines - nothing fancy, no proxies, etc.

The drafter who works for the developer (who I've known for 20 years and is a good guy) asked for the file and I let him know where he could access it (on their network). He opened it up in his Acad 2013, saw the entities and when he went to zoom it - everything disappeared! I opened it up on my Bcad without any problems, imported it into Dcad without any problems, opened it in DraftSight without any problems, and imported it into Spirit without any problems. He tried a few other earlier versions of this drawing but with the same issues.

I downloaded the trial version of Acad 2017 and opened the file - with the same result (that, and the "this isn't a 'true' Acad file so we can't guarantee it will work" disclaimer Autodesk now includes when THEY didn't last write the file). No matter what I tried (and I've used/abused Acad since 1988 and Bcad since at least 2008) Acad would regen the screen and BLOOP - everything was gone. Autodesk TrueVIEW can display the file.

I tried round-tripping it through Dcad, but after exporting the DWG file it moved all entities to the "zero" layer. Whatever the reason, I was able to finally round-trip it through Spirit and back out to DWG that Acad **finally** read correctly.

:roll:

Everyone can read and utilize DWG files - except for AutoCAD!!! Go figure ...
#70790 by Ted B
Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:33 pm
I dread getting AutoCad drawings from clients and their engineers. **Arrgh!**
Manufacturers' website "symbols" are almost as horrid.

And who is teaching young CAD operators drafting technique these days? Obviously no-one... The Architecture schools certainly haven't been teaching proper drafting technique more more than a generation. Having them buy Frank Ching's ubiquitous books and figuring it out for themselves is not the substitute for drafting instruction. Sloppy work, missing dimensions, poor page layout, no lightweights or variations for clarity -- and way too-much cut-n-paste details and text-notes. [/soap-box rant ]
#71778 by artmanvt2000
Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:41 am
Ted,

You are totally correct. If it isn't BIM they have no clue what they are doing.
#71792 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:03 pm
artmanvt2000 wrote:Ted,

You are totally correct. If it isn't BIM they have no clue what they are doing.
They don't know what they are doing on the BIM side either.
#71810 by Ted B
Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:44 am
One of my primary clients had some civil engineering done for a Planning Board Meeting. And the drawings created were mostly indifferent cut-n-paste canned details, scanned images, and Mfr's cuts. We needed them for the Township's checklist completeness, but he wasn't happy.
I nearly GAGGED when he told me what he paid for them...

I need to raise my billing-rate and fees.
And up my ruthless indifference to being a "nice guy".