Post off topic threads here.
#73611 by Ted B
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:15 am
Initially looking for info on ruling pens and lettering in ink, I spent several hours re-reading my 1953 edition of F&V. Reflecting on drawings that cross my desk from other firms from time to time, it's enough to weep.

And has it really been 43 years since F.D.K. Ching's seminal reference was first published?
#73677 by Ted B
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:40 am
I deal primarily with civilians* in my practice. I find that traditional Architect's fonts, generous lineweight variations, overshoots and a general visual furry-ness helps. I routinely use 5--6 lineweights in my drawings, hatching and varied line-spacing so the drawings stand-out. ...And lots of dimensions and notes. Most Autocad-trained/drafted drawings su*k these days; too sparse, cold and sterile. And way too-much information missing; two linetypes and one penweight just doesn't present well.

My design drawings and construction docs. are a mix of Datacad and Sketchup Pro/Layout. Civilians can understand a 3D drawing more intuitively compared to flat front-left-rear elevations and sections. They are also 11x17" originals, not Arch-D so their easier to handle...and reproduce.

[* - non-construction experienced homeowners, small business-types, and unsophisticated subcontractors.]