Post off topic threads here.

Do You Use 2-1/2 D Drawing Methods

25%
25%
50%
#75186 by joshhuggins
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:42 pm
I was wondering, does anyone still use 2-1/2 D drawing? When I go to draw something for 3D use I prefer to either draw it using the actual 3D entities in Datacad (polylines, polygons or slabs), or if I am going to push/pull in another app I like to draw it in Datacad 2D linework and then use the native 3D entities of the other app to build my objects from the 2D linework. I was just curious if anyone is using z-base/heights for their 2D entities with the intention of using them for 3D anymore?
#75187 by jimgoodman
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:29 am
We don't use the 2 1/2 D features because the geometry doesn't translate over to Sketchup, etc.

We are also finding that our engineers have trouble with our files if everything isn't flattened out to Zero Z-base and Z-height.

David Henderson has written a nifty little macro that will automatically zero out everything in a drawing file that comes in handy. I suspect that he will respond with a download link.
#75190 by dhs
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:14 pm
David Henderson has written a nifty little macro that will automatically zero out everything in a drawing file that comes in handy. I suspect that he will respond with a download link.

Would respond with a link if I was aware of it ....

Perhaps Jim is thinking of a macro by somebody else ? If so I assume that some-one will chime in with the details. ... Or perhaps I've just forgotten that I wrote it? (not impossible, but if so perhaps someone can send me a copy?)

I expect that it would only take an hour or so to write such a macro, so I might look at it if nobody points out an existing macro.

Rgds,
David H.
#75192 by jimgoodman
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:30 pm
David: I could have sworn that you sent it to me.

I attached the macro. It has no interface and will reset the z heights on all layers to zero. This will not change the heights of entities that are already in the drawings however.
Attachments
Z Macro
(4 KiB) Downloaded 802 times
#75193 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:11 pm
jimgoodman wrote:... This will not change the heights of entities that are already in the drawings however.

But the drawing Repair function can!

11-14-2018 2-09-15 pm.png
11-14-2018 2-09-15 pm.png (15.22 KiB) Viewed 11864 times

Dave
#75194 by Roger D
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:17 pm
Since we can flatten entities when exporting a file, why can we not have that switch on when importing a file?
#75196 by joshhuggins
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:26 pm
Roger D wrote:Since we can flatten entities when exporting a file, why can we not have that switch on when importing a file?
I have made it a habit that once I import any file that is not native Datacad AEC, once the file has been imported into a new default file, to close the file and run the repair tool on it to help purge any funkyness out of it. I usually always set it to use the Z settings Dave shows above. It's just too easy to do and hopefully helps me avoid some glitches down the road.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#75197 by jimgoodman
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:29 pm
joshhuggins wrote:
Roger D wrote:Since we can flatten entities when exporting a file, why can we not have that switch on when importing a file?
I have made it a habit that once I import any file that is not native Datacad AEC, once the file has been imported into a new default file, to close the file and run the repair tool on it to help purge any funkyness out of it. I usually always set it to use the Z settings Dave shows above. It's just to easy to do and hopefully helps me avoid some glitches down the road.

Excellent advise (as always)
#75198 by dhs
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:39 pm

ok, it may have been me ... I do have the source code for the Z macro on my PC, so I guess it must have been me.

It was probably just something I wrote for you in a few minutes and I never made publicly available (and subsequently forgot about). Maybe I should add it to my web site, but I guess anybody who would find it useful can download it from your post ...

Rgds,
David
#75199 by jimgoodman
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:56 pm
dhs wrote:

ok, it may have been me ... I do have the source code for the Z macro on my PC, so I guess it must have been me.

It was probably just something I wrote for you in a few minutes and I never made publicly available (and subsequently forgot about). Maybe I should add it to my web site, but I guess anybody who would find it useful can download it from your post ...

Rgds,
David

That does sound about right. I think we were discussing the space planner macro and I mentioned needing to change the z information on layers in our drawings.
#75200 by Ted B
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:57 pm
In 25, 30? years of using Datacad, I can't think of when I've used it deliberately in 3D-mode. I use Sketchup for that, it's just so much more intuitive. That and I don't use Datacad intensively-enough to learn half it's functions. I just don't have a drafting-intensive practice at the moment.

I primarily use Datacad for 2D construction details, floor-plans and building sections, and site plans. Everything else is primarily-done with Sketchup-Pro and Layout.
#75221 by Robert Scott
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:13 pm
I use a DWG export/import of accurate DataCAD drawing to Sketchup to model my 3D work with the exception being topo contours.
I did get my start in architectural 3D with DataCAD but now find I can almost model as fast in Sketchup as I can draw in 2D in DataCAD.

I've said this before but we really don't need or want a tool to do everything as parts will always suffer when going this route. I have several saws and hammers in my workshop...pick the right tool for the job and your expertise level :)

Bob