Post off topic threads here.
#75297 by Ted B
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:16 am
Bummer... I was going to update and upgrade both my Datacad-18 and Sketch-Up Pro licenses before the end-of-year, but apparently my SU has expired* and I have to purchase a new license. !!!

As a small one-man practice l try to leverage some of the technology to get things done, but these "subscriptions", upgrades and renewals are really starting to add-up. You say to yourself, "I'd like to get that plug-in", then the car insurance bill comes due. Or, "I'd like a better monitor", but it's end of the month so you put it off til next month and the next month and soon it's next year.

Can I afford raising my billable rates --again-- to cover the overhead? Sometimes I'm shocked and awed by what some Architects charge. I get loud grumbles for what I'm charging now...

(/rant off) **hangs head in shame**

* - The current one will still function, but upgrading means a new license. ...Has it really been THAT long?
#75299 by Paul Nida
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:14 am
Personally I hate the subscription model. It is good for the company writing the software but not for the people using it. Upgrades are less, innovations are less and the cost is the same. Thankfully I am close to being out of the vicious cycle.
#75314 by Robert Scott
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:01 pm
I feel your pain on the SU subscriptions...was burnt by that one last year. Probably won't ignore the notices this year :)
In general, I'm a fan of most subscription plans as I always have the cutting edge software that I may not purchase if I had to dive in with a full price.
I'm up against that with Luminon right now....big $$$ just to get into the game.

Adobe has one of the best subscription plans going...

All of this is just a CODB and I just roll with it.
If your standing still when it comes to technology your most likely being lapped.

One of the old dogs learning new tricks :)

Bob