Post off topic threads here.
#75323 by Ted B
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:12 pm
I've been overthinking changes to my office CADD standards for 2019, including shifting to a white screen-background. In looking a a number of YouTube vids (never a good idea) --including using Sketchup Pro and Layout for design and construction documentation-- I noticed more and more are using color printing for construction drawings.

I'm wondering what others' experiences with using color has been. For low-volume 11x17" print-sets it's not that much more to inkjet print in color versus b/w; or even muted grayscale backgrounds for graphic clarity.
#75325 by David Porter
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:13 am
I have found that the level of contracting deficiencies does not change when going to color printing of construction documents. In other words, they can screw up a free lunch whether in color or B & W.
#75327 by Ted B
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:33 am
Heh! Just as the "acceptable" quality of construction documentation has to Hell in a handbasket, the quality of trade skills and execution has dropped below nothing. It's near impossible these days to execute fine work when all you have access to are suburban-developer trade and vendor pools. "Hey, I can't get this from Home Depot! They don't stock it, and I need it for tomorrow, ...can I use this?" **grumble, mutter, grumble**

If it's an upscale job, they go across the highway to Lowe's.
#75328 by Robert Scott
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:38 am
Why print at all?
Contractors all have laptops, computers and devices. Create PDF files, upload them to the cloud and let them print them if they wish.
I haven't printed a physical set in recent memory. I can measure off PDF files with Adobe Acrobat tools...a great use/justification for double monitors other than watching ESPN :)

My feeling on SU Layout is well documented.

Bob
#75330 by Ted B
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:55 pm
My primary client/general contractor is paperless and we use .PDFs emailed back and forth, but the NJ code requires crimped NJ sealed and signed originals for all submittals to the zoning and bldg. depts. Datacad or Layout they still have to be created with an eye-towards printing on paper. Plus, most of the homeowners still need paper for preliminaries and meetings...and color helps them understand better.

My "record sets" are all .PDFs for file-purposes, but there's still plenty of paper sheets in the project files; sketches, field notes, mark-ups. Since the State requires paper, many of the trades still want them. You actually have to have one paper set at the job-site 24/7 that the Code Officials actually rubber-stamp and wet signature and return to the GC...so we're still big on paper. One of my important contractors doesn't even HAVE email nor a laptop.
#75331 by Robert Scott
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:07 pm
Ted B wrote:My primary client/general contractor is paperless and we use .PDFs emailed back and forth, but the NJ code requires crimped NJ sealed and signed originals for all submittals to the zoning and bldg. depts.

My "record sets" are all .PDFs for file-purposes, but there's still plenty of paper sheets in the project files; sketches, field notes, mark-ups. Since the State requires paper, many of the trades still want them. You actually have to have one paper set at the job-site 24/7 that the Code Officials actually rubber-stamp and wet signature and return to the GC...so we're still big on paper. One of my important contractors doesn't even HAVE email nor a laptop.

I didn't realize that there were Amish in New Jersey :)
#75332 by Ted B
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:24 pm
Heh heh, ...We actually have Mennonite framing crews. Almost all the pole barns here are "black-bumper" Mennonite-framed, they're wonderful. Craft still means something to them. I wish the other crews and trades were as professional and competent, though they can be a bit stubborn at times...

But as much as the usual job-site ESL issues are a problem here, English as First Language seems to be a greater comprehension problem;
- "Did you read the drawings first?", **mutter, grumble**
- "Well...I just noticed that and we'd already framed it. Can I get a letter* for the bldg. inspector?"

* - That letter has to be on paper, ...with my crimped seal and wet signature, ...and mailed or hand-delivered. **argh!**