Post off topic threads here.
#81898 by Nick Pyner
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:07 pm
I am looking at making an intervalometer for a camera - this in the absence of anybody so much smarter than me that they actually know what is required. I am coming to the conclusion that it is actually cheaper to get a circuit board made than it is to wire up a prototyping board, not to mention a lot less stressful.

Making up the "artwork" for a PCB in DataCad is easy enough, I know essentially what it should look like. The objective now is to convert DataCad to gerber files.

Has anybody had experience with that?
Attachments
PCB.jpg
#82201 by Nick Pyner
Tue May 02, 2023 10:41 am
I have concluded that this is not the greatest idea. I have used a CAD that is made for the job - called KiCAD. It is a freebie. The design was originated in DCad so I stayed with that but I had to re-draw it in KiCAD as I could not import from DCad. However, KiCAD does export DXF, so I was able to check it all in DCad. Using DCad enabled me to bypass some of the learning process, which seems quite appropriate for the work I am doing.