Post off topic threads here.
#82389 by Robert Scott
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:37 pm
Proud Uncle brag....my nephew was just accepted into the University of Michigan Masters of Landscape Architecture program and starts classes in 21 days.
One of his first studios will be "Visualizing The Environment" which is all hand graphics. With a degree in Horticulture, he's not had a drafting or art class since middle school so his Aunt and I are going to go shopping for supplies to help him out.

I thought it would be quite fitting for me to purchase him a high-quality Engineer and an Architectural scale. I've owned my set (which has a wood core) for over 45 years.

It's been years since I shopped for drafting supplies. Any suggestions on who the quality manufacturers are in the age of CAD?

Robert Scott
www.scottVIZ.com
#82392 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:38 am
Congrats Robert!

My second job my junior year of high school was working for a Landscape Architectural firm here in Simsbury, CT. My first task was running long, 6' sepias through the Diazo machine. I was terrified the roll was going to go askew crumple the sheet beyond repair. I really enjoyed doing the landscape and topography plans. That's where I learned Pinus Strobus and other latin terms for plants. I still have all of my manual drafting equipment, including scales as well. Given that there's now laser etched aluminum, that's what I might pick if I had to do it over again.

Here's an interesting link on Amazon. Made by FEQM which I know nothing about.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HJPZ3QK?tag=archisoup0b-20

Something that hasn't changed, and that I use often, are my Schaedler Precision Rules. They are translucent and flexible like mylar and have very fine increments.

Schaedler Precision Rules
https://www.schaedlerprecision.com/

Best of luck to your newphew!

MFM
#82397 by joshhuggins
Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:21 pm
I purchased these solid aluminum ones a few years back and they live next to me on my desk. They don't see a lot of use these days, but I like that the edges stay sharp and don't ding up like my old plastic ones. They don't have the color stipes which at the time bothered me. Since I don't use them too much, it's not really an issue anymore, but might be for someone who is used to it and using them daily.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3 ... UTF8&psc=1
#82399 by Robert Scott
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:15 pm
Thanks Josh....I actually have those in my Amazon cart so you confirmed it's a go. I also prefer the color stripes but trying to keep an open mind.
#82427 by Robert Scott
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:13 pm
Thanks for the suggestions!

My wife had a lot of fun "shopping for school" and we had our nephew over this past Friday for an introduction to drawing tools..both analog and digital.
I ended up with a set of Staedtler arch and mechanical rulers and I'm very pleased with the quality.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CO9OKW?re ... tails&th=1

Bought some Koh-i-noor lead holders and was quite disappointed they now have plastic bodies.
My "antiques" from the 50's/60's that were handed down to me are all metal.

Feeling quite energized and my wife is enrolling in a drawing class and we have a boatload of supplies now being shipped to us :)
Ink and Mylar was the media of chose for me BC (Before CAD)....might have to see if I still enjoy it 40 years later.

It's going to be a fun ride for the kid....I'm glad he is letting me tag along!

Robert

Old dog learning new tricks
#82535 by Robert Scott
Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:59 pm
Ted B. wrote:If you can find a copy, Vierck and French's classic drafting manual makes a good gift. And Frank Ching's Architectural Graphics is a must.

I bought him Frank Ching's AG and Building Construction Illustrated as soon as I heard he was accepted into the program!
I have a copy of Vierck and Frech's manual buried in storage....thanks for the reminder. I'll dust it off and re gift it to him.
#82572 by Ted B.
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:19 am
Drafting standards have been slipping for decades. One of the reasons I bought Datacad back when dinosaurs still roamed the drafting studios was the varied line weights and overshoot. I don't know if the schools even teach manual drafting. Used to be clear, neat hand-lettering was a valuable employable asset, now who letters?

Freehanding a clear, usable field detail on a sheet of graft paper is a lost art.