Post off topic threads here.
#82746 by dhs
Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:35 pm
Over the last couple of ,months or so emails from this forum have started going to my Spam folder

It has never happened prior to that, but I first noticed it a month or so ago (at which stage there were probably a month's worth of emails in my spam). I use Gmail and it is showing the following for forum emails in my spam folder:
The sender hasn't authenticated this message so Gmail can't verify that it actually came from them ...
I have previously clicked the 'Not Spam' button in Gmail which displayed a message that similar emails would not be marked as spam in future (can't remember exact wording, but something to that effect), but new forum emails keep going to Spam.

I have now added forum@datacad.com to my contacts and hopefully that will fix the problem (need to wait for the next email to confirm), but just wondering if something had changed in the way the emails are being generated or if anybody else has experienced this issue?

Thanks,
David H.
#82747 by MtnArch
Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:46 am
Over the past 2 years or so I've found that the servers that my VPN provider (Windscribe) were being flagged as spam - at first they would simply go to my client's spam folder, but over the past 4~6 months I am being blocked from even SENDING emails. What I discovered was that if I turned off the VPN my emails will send fine; with it on they don't even make it out of my box. Not sure if that's a problem on your end, David, but that's been my experience.
#82752 by dhs
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:18 pm
MtnArch wrote:Not sure if that's a problem on your end, David, but that's been my experience

Thanks Alan,

I don't think there is a problem with VPN on my end (I don't use it), but something has changed either in Gmail or the way the forum is sending the emails.
I have always found the GMail spam filtering very good (which is one of the main reasons why I use GMail), but this problem won't go away ... the email with your post still went to spam even after I added forum@datacad.com to my contacts.

The problem appears to be that the emails are being sent from p3plcpnl0853.prod.phx3.secureserver.net rather than from datacad.com, and that gmail will flag them as spam because the sending domain does not match the sending address. From the GMail help I thought that clicking on the 'Not Spam' button should fix it from my end (in fact GMail displays a message "Future messages from this sender will be sent to Inbox") or that adding forum@datacad.com to by contacts would fix it. But both of those actions have failed to have any effect.
Gmail help does list a couple of solutions that can be taken at the senders end:
  • If you send messages with a bulk mailing vendor or third party affiliates, prevent your emails from being blocked by Gmail.
  • Publish an SPF record that includes the IPs of the vendor or affiliates which send your messages.
  • Sign your messages with a DKIM signature that is associated with your domain.
  • Make sure the domain in the "From:" address matches the domain you're using to authenticate your emails.
The link in the first bullet point above goes to a page which notes that a requirement for senders of bulk emails to use a TLS connection for transmitting email was added in December 2023 .... this may well coincide with the date that the forum emails started to go to my spam folder.
The same page also notes that from Feb 2024 new requirement will be in place for senders who send 5,000 or more messages per day to GMail accounts (not sure if the forum emails go to that many accounts, I suspect not?)

Hopefully the people at DataCAD will be on top of the requirements, and can do something from their end to prevent forum emails being marked as Spam by Google.

Regards,
David H.