Post off topic threads here.
#6435 by Bev
Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:27 am
My computer was recently upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows 2000. In the process, I've lost my ability to plot (which also means I can't view previously set up sheets or set up new sheets - this is crippling). I cannot install new printers / drivers because "All resources are used up". It appears we will have to reformat the hard drive. Is there a way to save my DataCAD work environment so that when we reinstall the program we won't have to spend lots of time making adjustments to the screen to get it back to what I'm used to? Thanks for any help.
Bev
#6437 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:41 am
Hello Bev,

There is a huge advantage of buying a new hard drive, and installing Win2K on that. This way, you preserve the data on the old HD, but you get a clean install; which is much better than an upgrade. A new hard drive is relatively inexpensive thing; like $75 for an 80GB or 120GB.
#6455 by Bev
Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:02 pm
Neil,
I appreciate the reply, but the question did not get answered.
Even if we put a new hard drive in, is there a way to save my DataCAD settings for re-installation?
Bev
#6456 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:36 pm
Hi, Bev -

All of the settings (or the vast majority of them) are saved in the Dcadwin.ini file. If you've toyed with the (I believe) Dcad.mcr file you'll also want to save that out.

I think what Neil means is that you install the new HD and install DataCAD fresh on it, then start modifying the .INI (and .MCR) file to match what the old one looks like on the old drive. At that point you can also migrate over anything else (like drawings) to the new HD.

Does this make a little more sense?
#6459 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:59 pm
Hi Bev,

The entire contents of the Support Files, Fonts, Macros, and depending on where your drawing and symbol (and templates?) are kept -- those are the things that you could transfer from the old HD.

The nice thing about saving the old HD is that it can stay in the machine, and as you discover things that are missing, you can then figure out how to transfer them. You don't have to get it all right the first time. And most (all?) of the hardware problems should be overcome by a clean and fresh installation! You should not have any residual printing or network problems -- it all should work.
#6463 by Bev
Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:32 pm
Thanks Alan & Neil, that helps.
Bev