Post off topic threads here.

Background: White or Black

83%
11%
7%
#496 by Tony Blasio
Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:03 pm
I use black. I have tried all the other colors I could think of and nothing feels quite right except black.
#498 by Greg Blandin
Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:08 pm
I was working on a white background at my last job with a program called Softplan. It took a while but I got used to it. Then I started on DataCAD and went back to black. Can't say it's that different. Just what you get used to.

Greg
#499 by Philip Hart
Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:25 pm
User since v2.?; every time I've tried to switch to a white background, I've had trouble getting my most frequently used colors adjusted to look ok on the screen and have the correct "meaning" for me. For instance, I've used Lt Grey for particular things for a long time and I'd rather not change the whole screen color/what its for/plotted pen weight relationship. So getting the color called Lt Grey to look light grey on white background and psychologically have the right pen weight has always been just too much of a new trick for this old dog.
#501 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:38 pm
Hello:

So far, I'm the lone white background user! :shock: I do conceed that it takes a good quality monitor, and a little bit of tweaking to get Yellow, Light Cyan and other colors to read better against a white background. But once this is done, IMO, it ends up being easier on my eyes, and it looks more like lines on paper -- whereas on a black background, it looks like neon bulbs in space! :P

OTOH, there are several colors that need to be adjusted even with a black background -- Green is way to similar too Light Green, Brown is really orange, Light Red and Light Blue are not light enough... :roll:

To each, their own -- right?
#503 by Jon C. Hubart
Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:50 pm
For me the white background is to much of a strain on the eyes. I tend to change the windows background color to a slight grey tone also. I feel like my eye sockets are burning if I look at a white background to long.
#504 by Mark Bell
Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:18 pm
BLACK!!! - have tried white, light grey, pale blue but none seem to give the claritiy in line definition and color as a black screen - maybe I'm too set in my ways?
#516 by Dick Eades
Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:08 pm
I am working on white and I like it. It takes a little getting used to and it is difficult to tell the darker colors apart. I set the LT colors to dark hues so the LT is a misnomer for me, it should read DK.
#518 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:56 pm
Hello Dick:

Dick Eades wrote:I set the LT colors to dark hues so the LT is a misnomer for me, it should read DK.

Did you also change the names when you edited the colors? I have my first color in the list named "Black"! [Edit] You can simply do this in the Color Picker -- change the names you want to be different, and Save As, and that's it...

Here's what they look like:

...and the same colors (except Green, which I lightened to work better on my screen) on a black background:
(click on images to see larger version)

And here's the 15 colors from my Default.RGB file:

0 0 0 Black
255 0 0 Red
26 106 0 Green
0 0 255 Blue
0 170 170 Cyan
170 0 170 Magenta
164 73 0 Brown
167 167 167 Lt Grey
105 105 105 Dk Grey
255 138 143 Lt Red
56 251 56 Lt Green
115 129 255 Lt Blue
11 234 255 Lt Cyan
255 85 255 Lt Mgta
227 185 3 Yellow
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#522 by Dick Eades
Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:04 pm
I have not changed the labels, but if I did, in addition to re-labeling black, I would also re-label all the lt colors to dk. I wanted to keep the lt colors bold since they had been used on black screen setups years ago and they are assigned to heavier pens. On the white background, I want those colors to be closer to black and my rgb file has them set that way. The only thing off for me is the labels.
#649 by KIWIGULL05
Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:22 pm
I always used black & recently went to DCAD 10 & now find a cool white background best for colours & clarity. I've tried soft yellows & blues but they do make some layer colours almost invisible

Mike
Auckland
NZ
#698 by Dick Eades
Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:33 am
It took me a little while to get my image server on my personal web space set up, but I wanted to post my screen colors and layout as well.

Now, that's too big. I notice that Neil has a smaller picture with a link to a larger one. How do you do that?
Last edited by Dick Eades on Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#699 by Dick Eades
Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:37 am
Okay, how do you get the image to show up here?
#700 by Daniel Kaczor
Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:56 am
Dick Eades wrote:It took me a little while to get my image server on my personal web space set up, but I wanted to post my screen colors and layout as well.

You needed to add "[/img]" (without the quotes) at the end of the address and the url should not be in brackets.
Like this:

(Image removed, You're welcome.:)

Note: try to make your image a little smaller, when I looked at it, it more than filled my screen.
Last edited by Daniel Kaczor on Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#701 by Dick Eades
Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:03 pm
Oh, no!! Now that it's working it's copying in the quoted posts after I edited the original.

Sorry about that!