Post off topic threads here.
#6755 by Dick Eades
Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:11 pm
This one is especially for Miguel:

I was watching a show on the history channel about sugar, of all things, and they showed how the Brazilians were using a large part of their sugar crop to produce alcohol fuel and their automotive industry has developed some innovative "flex fuel" engines that allow an automobile engine to burn either alcohol, gasoline or a mix of the two. The engine computer adjusts the fuel-air mix and the ignition to compensate.

I say BRAVO!! to them. I appears that we may be looking to Brazil for guidance in developing bio-fuel engines. In this country, the real innovators have to live in fear of their lives if they come up with something that seriously challenges the petrochemical industry.
#6766 by Heinrich
Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:18 am
The cost of such engines is my only concern. Not just initial costs, but maintenance and repair costs would be through the roof on such new technology. It is a good start, however.
Of course, this would be a mute point if certain countries would take a better role in utilizing their own oil resources instead of relying on others to provide it for them.Image
#6777 by Dick Eades
Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:33 am
I didn't see anything that complicated with those engines. There is an on board computer that adjusts the mixture and timing and an additional fuel tank for carrying both fuel types. It seems like an elegant solution to me.

And who are the "certain countries" you refer to? What I saw in the program was a country that was making excellent use of their resources.
#6797 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:17 pm
Hello Dick,

You are right with the engines. No problem at all. I had myself an alcohol moved car in the 'ancient' times of this experience. This was around 1980. Used it for five years and had no problem to keep it usable for many more.
It had better tork but highter consumption. The only problems were with low temperature start in the morning. It used a little auxiliary gasoline pump for this cases.

Today there are engines prepared to work with three fuels, including alcohol, gasoline and natural gas (which was burned out from the oil wells). And more bio-fuels are being developed.
You don't have even to know which is the proportion of the fuel in the car tank. The computer tests it and manages the burning process.

Independency from a very sensitive supply.

Regards,
Miguel