Post off topic threads here.
#6883 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:23 pm
2 web design questions: Never know who's listening :!:

1. Does anyone know how to make favicons always show when a page is loaded, not just when it's a bookmark?

2. Is there a way to have a single favicon for a whole domain without putting the favicon in every directory?

I tried Googlin' for these answers, but no luck. Thx :!:
#6897 by Steve Baldwin
Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:19 am
Hi Josh.

It looks like how they act might be browser specific. If there is a special setting that needs to be turned on that is not a default, then that really sucks since most people don't do that kind of stuff.

On my site, I just have one (1), located in the main part of the directory structure. In Firefox, it shows up everywhere, even for personal pages that have no link to them from my site, that are buried a couple of layers down in the directory structure. But in my IE here at work, they don't show up at all. Even DataCad's icon doesn't show in my IE. I will see what IE on my home machine does either tonight or this weekend.

I typically use Firefox, and try to keep my IE using mostly default settings, thinking that that is what most people will see.

By the way, does my icon show on your browser?
#6899 by Steve Baldwin
Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:34 am
Hmm... I see that if I click on the link to my site from my "profile" or the "www" button below, it doesn't load unless I hit the reload button, even in Firefox.
#6903 by joshhuggins
Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:54 am
They don't show in IE6, but they do in the IE7 beta. I didn't really ask my question correctly. I usually have my browser set to always check for a newer version of the page, and to clear the cache when the browser closes. When you have these settings, unless you re create a favorite/bookmark in both IE and Firefox, it looses the icons every time you close the browser. I was looking for a way so with every new page you load it would load the favicon right then. I don't think there is a way to do this from what I've found yesterday. Thanks for the help Steve.

p.s. - IE7 is still in beta 1, but from what I've seen it's not going to be that big of an update externally for the users until the Vista version. The security features seem to be more stable lately, but still lacking in W3C CSS standards, but they have fixed some major bugs, which was causing my pages to not function properly created in Dreamweaver.
#6905 by Steve Baldwin
Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:10 pm
I also keep my caches and history stuff cleared. That must be why I have no favicons for the few bookmarked ("Favorites") items I have in IE. Firefox, however, does not loose the icons when clearing its cache.
#6906 by joshhuggins
Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:21 pm
Hmm, might have been the beta version of Firefox I was using clearing out the bookmark icons? Oh well, thanks again.