Post off topic threads here.
#7282 by bpeoples
Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:24 am
Is there an easy way to control linetype for symbols?
ex. showing plumbing fixtures as a dashed line for demolition plan. I'm currently having to explode the symbol and then erasing parts of the lines to read graphically as "dashed"
#7283 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:40 am
Greetings,

Well, yes and no. You cannot edit within unexploded symbols in DataCAD -- yet; this is one of the new features that we should see in v12. However, there are at least two ways to do this now:

Explode the current symbol, change all the linetypes to dashed (or for ellipses, either replace them with the four radii, or manually break them up), and then save a new version of the symbol; and just Replace the ones you need to show as demolished.

You can use an XRef (either a self-XRef, or a "regular" one), and use the Highlighting feature to show them dashed. I use this method for the entire existing plan, so that all the walls, doors, windows, and fixtures that you erase in the new/proposed plan, shows up as dashed since it is part of the XRef. :) So, this not only solves the dashed symbol issue, but adds a lot of other info to a drawing more easily.

If you have a separate existing conditions file, or if you have it in the same file, then do a Save As or, make a copy of the existing plans into the layers that you will modify for the new/proposed plans. Then add a layer to the new/proposed plans for the XRef, and then add the XRef using the layers/file for the existing plan, and Highlight it. It also helps to lock that layer. Then erase the portions of the copied plan that you want to remove -- and voila! You'll see a dashed demo plan -- easy, huh?

The other advantage this method has, is that if you discover something that is not correct or was omitted from the existing plans, just change/add it, and the XRef is automatically corrected! :twisted:
#7295 by Dick Eades
Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:51 am
I'm doing this on two current projects. My method for demolition is to create demo layers in the existing conditions file and move any entities to be demolished to those layers. When I need to show the demolition, I xref or even self xref the file with the demolition layers only turned on and highlighted to a dashed linetype. The view of entities to remain is xref'd separately with the demo layers turned off.

But, I see all this as merely a work-around. I believe a better aproach to demolition in an existing plan is to make that a parametric element. Maybe then we could just set a toggle to show/not show/highlight those elements. Look at how Revit handles this.