Post off topic threads here.
#55 by Greg Blandin
Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:42 pm
Most computers I've worked with that has XP on it usually detects when I plug my digital camera into it to upload picture. My home computer does not do this. Is there some setting that I might have removed or turned off that allows for this? How can I get it back?

Thanks

Greg
#81 by Martell
Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:51 am
Hello Greg,
It is necessary to get more information about your computer hardware.
Is it an new mainboard?
Sometimes you must first enter to the BIOS and enable USB support.
Are other USB hardware working on your computer?
Most times you must first install a driver for USB hardware, and then plug the hardware in.
Which kind of chip is on your mainbord?
Maybe you must install the newest chipset (VIA, Intel)
If other USB harware is working, check for Chipset drivers.
Then check the manual of your camera, if a driver is necessary.

Best regards
#1107 by Bryan Potratz
Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:20 pm
Greg Blandin wrote:Most computers I've worked with that has XP on it usually detects when I plug my digital camera into it to upload picture. My home computer does not do this. Is there some setting that I might have removed or turned off that allows for this? How can I get it back?

Thanks

Greg

Perhaps a more pertinate question is... Why do you want to drain your camera batteries using an USB cable?

It's far easier to use one of an infinite variety of card readers. Most Photo/Camera programs will recognize the inserted chip as a "camera" anyway because of the DCIM standard.
#1110 by joshhuggins
Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:54 pm
There are different levels of detection. Some bring up prompts as to what you want to do. Some near the task bar only quickly say new hardware installed the first time, and some are silently added. Does windows add a drive letter to My Computer for the camera when it is plugged in? If so, right click on the drive and select properties. Click on the Autoplay tab, and click Restore defaults. Unplug and replug in the camera to see if Windows now prompts you to pcik an action. Hope this helps.