Post off topic threads here.
#9022 by joshhuggins
Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:41 pm
Neil, you've probably already seen this, but if not this one's for you! I'm sure some of you kiddies know Neil is a member of the Silent PC Review forum, which deals with keeping your PC nice and cool while keeping noise and energy usage down. While roaming around looking for some Tivo information I stumbled across this article at Toms Hardware on a computer system completely submersed in oil to keep it cool. It's quite a fantastic article if your a computer geek like myself. And it's completly quite! Check it out by clicking on the image.
#9023 by Steve Scott
Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:05 pm
Of course this will spark a new wave of cooking oil TV ad wars.
As for me, I'll wait until cooking oil is available in designer colors. ;)
#9040 by Ted B
Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:21 pm
It is amazing how much "off-white" noise is generated in the office environment. I have low-level tinitus on both sides (constant ringing in the ears) so usually it doesn't bother me, I just need some music to give the background noise some "color". But the few times that the power has failed, it's jaw-dropping the sound-level difference of the fans, ballasts and transformers all shut down.

Sometimes I do actually shut-off my PC and it's accesories just because it gets "too loud" at times when I doing structural calculations that require a high degree of focus. But it's not just the PC; it's the printer, all those transformer black-boxes attached to the power-strip; and most importantly the overhead fluorescents. Just turning them off makes a big difference in the Summer.

And it's usually 5-10 degrees warmer in the office area where all the computer equipment is other the rest of the office suite if I keep that door closed.