Post off topic threads here.
#9958 by Jim Allen
Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:02 pm
This past week there was a Windows XP update. It installed automatically on our computers during the night. Two of these computers had been set to automatically install the updates when they were set as administrators. Recently I've changed some computers to Limited accounts for security. The Windows update still installed during the night with the limited account logged in. But after the updated on one of the computers, DataCAD would crash every time we opened the Layer Manager, or the Symbol Browser. I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems. We only found a problem with running DataCAD.

One computer I restored the computer to earlier in the week before the Windows update. Then reinstalled the Windows update as the administrator. Now it all seems to be working as it should again. I also had tried to install DataCAD again, but the computer wouldn't let me. I couldn't uninstall it either. There would be error messages instead.

The other computer couldn't even open DataCAD until I changed the account back to an Administrator. I couldn't restore that computer to a previous date either. The only other solution other than leaving it as an administrator might be to try to reinstall DataCAD again.

I wish I knew more about this subject of accounts and security. I had run into a problem with my home computer which was always just set up as administrator and no password. Now I have an administrator account with password, and a limited account that I use most of the time. At first I couldn't run Photoshop from the limited account. There would be a message that the file was locked and had to be unlocked from the Properties menu in the file explorer. It took awhile, but somehow I have it working again through the security settings. I'm not sure exactly what setting did it. It had to be done in the administrator account though.

If anyone on here has had any experience with this sort of think I would be interested in hearing it. Or any reference on the internet.

TIA,

Jim Allen