Post off topic threads here.
#10534 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:03 am
Just wondering:

For years I have worked for a home builder that afforded me with company based insurance for me and my family.

Now it has come to the point where I want to go out on my own. I beleive I have enough contacts and potential clients to keep things going, but my big concern is the ability to afford health insurance.

This is of paticular concern since, both my wife and I have "pre-existing" conditions (I'm diabetic and my wife had her thyroid removed last November and is on maintenance drugs for this).

I would really appreciate any advice from anyone on how to AFFORADABLEY obtain health insurance (if it even exists) - or are things so rigged in such a way (with the corrupt insurance industry and big corporation) that as I might as well not even bother considering the possibility

Thanks,

Aaron
Atlanta, GA
#10543 by Bev
Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:24 am
Aaron,
I'm no expert by any means, but what little I've seen I think what the insurance companies look at is that you've had continuous coverage - no lapses. It's during those lapses that the pre-existing conditions thing comes into play. I'd check into it further if it were me. If you're forming a company for your business (even if you're the only person, though usually they want at least 2 people) it may qualify you for group insurance. Medica has been decent. Plans that I've seen that don't cost much also don't pay out much or easily.
Bev