Post off topic threads here.
#10731 by kapone085
Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:24 pm
As of Monday, April 3rd, I will no longer be using DataCAD as my drafting software. I have chosen a position with another company and they use AutoCad. :roll: I have enjoyed my 7 years with DataCAD and maybe, just maybe I can get the new company to switch. I just need someone's help.:wink: Maybe someone can pose as a salesperson or something?!?!?

Thanks again you guys.

PS I will check in at home, to see if I can help anyone in any way.
#10740 by Giuseppe Barberio
Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:51 pm
Good Luck with your new position. I did the same about 2-1/2 years ago. Currently working with Autocad but still use DataCad at home for my own projects. Once version 12 is out I am going to see if my boss will purchase a copy and let me use it.

Maybe with 12 out you'll have better luck pitching the idea to your new boss.
#10754 by Greg Blandin
Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:42 pm
Good luck in your new job.

Now...while you may think it's a great idea to try to talk the company into switching to DataCAD, this is not always the best case. They quite likely have AutoCAD set up for themselves to work at optimal level. Considering that and how many CAD operators there are in the company, there is a larger loss to the company to make a switch to another CAD platform, in training the existing employee's on a whole new system just to make "the new guy" happy.

I'm not saying don't suggest it/discuss it, I'm saying look at the situation as a whole. Not just to make you happier.
#10790 by kapone085
Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:48 pm
thanks for the support.

I love datacad. :oops:
#10791 by kapone085
Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:17 pm
:cry: :cry: :cry:
BON VOYAGEEE!!!
#10906 by RDanne
Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:59 pm
Jason,
In the last 8 years (thru 3 job changes) I've learned AutoCAD2K, Softplan, and Arris. I finally got the opportunity to start my own dept with an established company and of course chose to return to my original cad preference (now using DCAD v11). I've learned that each CAD system has it's strengths & drawbacks, and learning each has really helped me to develop my skills. You'll be frustrated for the first couple weeks using ACAD, but have patience and you'll discover it has some similarities to DCAD and even some improvements. You'll also be a much more rounded draftsman/designer and eventually command a better salary (& future opportunities will become available - maybe even to return to the datacad community). Good luck!
Ron Danne, AIBD
P&D Builders Ltd.
Columbus OH
#10908 by MtnArch
Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:50 pm
Ron -

Very nicely put! I've always felt that the more systems that I've used/been exposed to gives me a better ability to intelligently discuss (or argue!) WHY DataCAD works the best and where the others fall short (or excel, as the case may be).

There are areas where other Cad software excels beyond DataCAD - but for the bread and butter of making money and being productive there are few that can come close to DataCAD!

I've spent the last 20 years working with various Cad programs (PointLine, Cadvance, AutoCAD, Vectorworks, DataCAD, etc.) and feel that DataCAD provides the best platform for me, as an architect, to express my vision and intent in the current industry-standard medium for the contractors in the field.

Good luck, Jason!
#11183 by kapone085
Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:38 pm
Thanks you guys.

The first couple of weeks have been a learning experience.

I have, however, caught on to the program fairly quickly.
As far as their process of drawings, that will take a little longer.

You guys are great. Thank you for the encouraging words.

DataCad rules!