Post off topic threads here.
#834 by dennisnorton
Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:59 am
I have recently upgraded my computer system including upgrade from win98 to xp. I have 512 Ram, 1800+ AMD Athlon, ATI geForce Video Card, Asus K8N Motherboard, with Datacad Version 10 and Visual Reality.

I am now getting a "memory block has corrupted tail" error message when I do a full render. I have done all kinds of memory tests, including one dowloaded from Microsoft, and my memory is fine. So it seems that it is software related. My guess is that Visual Reality is not releasing all of the RAM after each render, thus corrupting future accesses to that portion of RAM.

Are there any fixes for this? I cannot find anything on the internet regarding Visual Reality anymore. Did they just vanish from the planet? Datacad has no links either - what's the deal? Any help is most appreciated!!!!!
#836 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:08 am
Hello Dennis:

When in doubt (when Windows is concerned): reboot the computer. This always "clears the cobwebs".

Having said that, with WinXP, you might want to add more RAM (1GB would be nice), and so it might be a hard drive error, since it is likely that you have to resort to virtual memory. Did you reformat the HD to NTFS, or did you leave it as FAT32?
#843 by dennisnorton
Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:18 pm
My hard drive is more than adequate - I have about 100 gigs free. Maybe I need more RAM, but I have 2 times the amount I had before XP....

I have run restore several times thinking it may be a hard drive error - but that isn't the problem either. I'm thinking maybe it has something to with Visual Reality running on the XP operating system...

Also, my hard drive is NTSF formatted...
#844 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:22 pm
Very well could be Visual Reality. Visual Reality has been reported not to work propery on a NTFS formated system. I have heard of people running it from a spare Fat32 drive on a WinXP NTFS system. Might be worth a try.
#845 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:47 pm
Hello:

Josh is probably right -- Mark Madura did post something a while back about VR not being able to write to an NTFS drive... He suggested saving things to a Zip drive, or a networked FAT32 drive, now that you mention it.

And yes, they pretty much did disappear...
#848 by dennisnorton
Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:16 pm
Thanks for the insight. I can't believe that Visual Reality would vanish like that. I think it is a tremendous program.

Guess I'll stick an old FAT32 drive in the cabinet and see what happens.