Post off topic threads here.
#11417 by peter korzaan
Sat May 06, 2006 11:05 pm
I'm curious, am I an oddity?

There was an opportunity to try a free web broadcast of the local baseball team tonight, so thought I give it a try as the game was not to be televised. When I tried to hook up, it reacquired the macromedia flash download.
Now in the past when this program first came out I downloaded it, and there seemed to be these pesky adds that just constantly flashed in your face on the internet, being very annoying in trying to get your attention.
When I had to reformat, I didn't go there, and haven't, and didn't tonight. But I decided to check the program out on its web site. Its amusing to find that unless you have set a privacy curtain, the provider can listen in on your mike, and or, camera.

What I'm getting at here is the lack more and more of privacy in your own home, and the ability to protect it without laying out higher and higher costs of trying to protect it. Companies placing taped messages on to your answering machine, filling it up while your taking care of business elsewhere. I've made a point of calling them and explaining that if I hear another one again, that I will put them on my black list and never shop there again. It's worked.

I find this all very distracting, annoying and disturbing. You can't sit down and examine thoroughly every program you put in your machine. Like the Macromedia flash program, I thought it had to do with imaging, and what one would be able to see using it. For some reason never even considered that they could 'use,' the user so. And what for? For what purpose to see what your camera saw, or what your mike heard. No honest business needs to do that. Just those who are make funny business. And this is just dealing with the electronic world of internet and telephone service that you pay to use, while others try to use you freely through it. What about our food and GMO. (Genetic Modified Organisms) Are our my grandchildren, eating this stuff from their childhood going to be able to have children? Or are then going to be modified by what they eat now, later. And become much like most of the yellow corn and other staples in the USA. Modified and unable to reproduce itself.

So the question is... am I an odd ball? Do you out there except this kind of stuff now as normal in the modern daily life? No more annoying than a pesky fly, taking a swat at it now and then, spending more money for the latest and best firewalls etc to protect and then go on about your business with a sigh. Or do you find yourself in a slow low burn, as I do, wanting to fight it, but not knowing how to be effective about it. If there is even a way to fight it, besides shelling out more money.

I swear sometimes it reminds me of the 'ole protection rackets of yore. If the merchant didn't pay for the protection to the local head wise guy, maybe his windows, or something else, got broken.

Thanks for letting me vent.. but I'm curious to what you think. p.