Post off topic threads here.
#12112 by joshhuggins
Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:37 pm
I was at home this last week and while enjoying a game of Battlefield 2 (PC Game) the power went out for about 5 secs. While my wife's system shut down I chuckled a bit and said "Ah how nice, I can keep playing." I continued to play for about 20 mins after the power had come back on when my system rebooted it's self. I thought it was related to a fairly buggy update I had installed on the game the day before and didn't think anything of it. But before the system finished loading windows, it rebooted again, this time barly making it past the post screen. Uh oh. Long story short, I believe the high CPU / VGA load on the system causing a high voltage/wattage draw at the time of the power failure, caused a under-voltage burn out as the battery backup couldn't keep up with the demand. The battery backup is designed for office computer use, 200-350 watts. I've had it around for quite a while and while my power supply has grown in wattage to keep up with my gaming (cough... graphic applications) needs, I never thought about the gray battery backup looming in the shadows under my desk. After doing a complete system part swap, I found my board and CPU were pretty much toast. So I think on my home system, where my system is usually under high load, I am going to move the battery backup to the server and replace it with just a good surge protector/line conditioner for now. Oy what a mess :!:
ImageImageImage
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
#12117 by joshhuggins
Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 am
Nope, she knew it ment buying more computer parts. Got the ol' :roll: