Post off topic threads here.
#12236 by joshhuggins
Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:18 pm
MtnArch wrote:Now what other Cadd program could you find where the CEO not only replies, but passes something by the company attorney FOR the user? How could anyone not want to support DC LLC?!?!?!

No kidding huh? That was very nice indeed, Mark. Datacad, the company with Heart. I feel all warm and squishy inside.
#12306 by Steve Baldwin
Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:53 am
Mark F. Madura wrote:I forwarded your original post to our lawyer...

MtnArch wrote:Now what other Cadd program could you find where the CEO not only replies, but passes something by the company attorney FOR the user? How could anyone not want to support DC LLC?!?!?!

WOW!!! That is impressive indeed!!!
#12316 by Graeme
Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:25 pm
Yeah that sure is impressive.

Ten points up for Datacad :D
#12319 by Dinosaur
Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:53 pm
Impressive indeed, Mr. Madura
I have never posted here, but upon hearing about this topic from an active member of an Autodesk forum, I wanted to toss in the perspective of a 15+ year veteran of Autodesk products. It is quite correct that there is no way a case could be made that even with the same level of experience in AutocAD will bring you triple your current salary unless you are grossly underpaid or not working very many hours. I have found that how well you know how to use the tools you are given has far more impact on your earnings than what name came on the toll's package.
As was pointed out, there are AutoCAD users all over coming out of associates degree programs and various Tech. School programs. They have literally flooded the market for entry level positions in AutoCAD shops. Entry level pay at my employer would be at most $8-$10/hr. and would be only very modest yearly increases until you were ready to take on significant design responsibilities. As long as there is a demand for someone who can work with DataCAD, your experience should carry a premium and if you can excel using it I would expect you could earn more than 90% of the AutCAD user pool.
I also doubt that this expert factored in the cost of acquiring the program or the hardware investment needed to meet the system requirements. AutoCAD customers are being herded into an expensive yearly subscrpition program as the only way to upgrade without paying full retail should they skip more than 2 releases. Many new versions are left sitting unopened on shelves because of concerns of lost production time to the learning curve or the old workstations or peripherals aren't supported.
All that said, in any market, flexibility is the key. Especially since it appears that you work private contract, just the ability to work in AutoCAD might be beneficial. Should one of your main clients get sold on the idea of changing software or become otherwise unable to give you work, the ability to do something in AutoCAD may at least pay the rent one month.
I walked into my current job 10 years ago ONLY because I had used a particular design software for a few months at a time when there were few people around with any experience with it.
#12321 by Bruce111
Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:02 pm
I to am going through a battle with my ex wife over the children. I work from home (self employed) doing planning and designs mostly on the domestic front in the UK. Working from home gives me the flexibility I require to take care of my children as and when I am needed to do so. It is extremely biased and one sided within the law in this country. But I hope this will and is now beginning to slowly change. I am proud to be a member of this forum and of the comments and help that has been given here.

Curt, I sincerely hope that you can achieve you goals by maintaining your current employment status without you and your children loosing out. Your plight is very much like my own. After all, it's all about what's best for the kids.

Does Datacad do marriage guidance as well?.......never mind to late anyway. :)

Best wishes
Bruce.