Post off topic threads here.
#12484 by joshhuggins
Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:38 am
The next version of Internet Explorer (IE7), has just released it's beta 3. I have been using beta 2 now for a few months. While beta 2 was working really good there was only two sites, Verizon Wireless and Comcast that were not working completely in their secure billing areas. And while both sites still claim not to support IE7 until it's official release, both sites are working like a charm now with beta 3. IE7 offers a some of the features that FireFox fans have grown to love, but with much better compatibility. IE7 is much more secure than IE6, as most everything is, but time will tell just how secure it really is. You may have noticed some of the logo's on other website that have grey outlines or boxes. That's because IE never properly supported alpha channel rendering of images. That's basically a fancy way to say supports true image transparency. I'd suggest to any one to upgrade to this version, as it's very stable, has some good plug ins and has a new clean interface. Even if you use FireFox as your main browser, the security fixes in IE7 will make your system more stable and safer. Although I still don't see what all the fuss is about with tabbed browsing? We've had the same effect with the taskbar buttons for decades now :)

IE7 Website

Also if your currently using the Google toolbar, check out thier new beta Google Toolbar designed for IE7. It to has been working pefectly for the last few months, and offers some nice new features. (It will also work with IE6 & FireFox)
#12502 by Greg Blandin
Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:41 am
joshhuggins wrote:Although I still don't see what all the fuss is about with tabbed browsing? We've had the same effect with the taskbar buttons for decades now :)

Cause you can ctrl-tab through the tabbed browsing without bring up other applications. :P
#12504 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:11 am
Oh IC.
#12505 by Greg Blandin
Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:22 am
I didn't say it was a good reason...just a reason.

My main reason for using firefox is because as long as IE is the top most used browser, then it will be the one more likely to be attacked by hackers.

So it can have all the security features it want's someone is going to find a way through it. Sure Firefox will get hit also, but at this time IE is top most for people to try to hack.
#12507 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:07 pm
I've heard of these security holes and such, but has anyone here ever been hit by a hacker via a browser? I've had some intrusions detected by my firewall, but but it never reaches my system because I have a harware & software firewall. I would guess most of a hackers attacks would be targeted at gaining access to a network and shared resources. Or is it more of stealing personal information while using a browser? Or would it be more likely to happen with the installation of software first, that attacks the browser locally, then plays havoc? Maybe I'm just naive, because I'm not a large enough target to see these types of issues. It just seems like with a good firewall, virus app and some common since with application installations, there has not been any problems. Anyway, IE has worked great for me, but the Ctrl-Tab does sound handy. But the tabs take up more screen space than I like, so I can handle a few more Alt+Tabs & get better site compatibility to boot. JOGO.
#13655 by joshhuggins
Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:07 pm
IE7 RC1 was released a while back, again it is worth the time to update (even if Firefox is your main browser) If your running Windows XP your system will be more secure with this installed as it removes most of the shell ties to the browser. This installation will auto uninstall any previous versions of IE7. You may need to reassociate your browsing with Firefox after the installation.
Get it here :arrow: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie