Post off topic threads here.
#13131 by Greg Blandin
Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:32 pm
I like the idea...but we need to take it one step further.

Offer the rooms for rent in the virtual world. Sell it as the vacation getaway without leaving your home!
#13132 by Dick Eades
Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:35 pm
But avatars don't sleep, nor do they need roofs to keep out the rain and snow.

The point here is that this becomes a way to proof your building concepts allowing users to walk through the model.

What I haven't found out yet is whether or not SL can import 3D models developed with software other than their own.
#13134 by joshhuggins
Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:25 pm
'Living it up at the Virtural Hotel California' doesn't have the same ring to it.
#13136 by Dick Eades
Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:52 pm
Yeah, okay, I agree that's funny, but I think we need to look at this seriously as a means of showing and experiencing virtual buildings. This has potential as a means of presentation and gathering feedback.

There are real-world companies using SL as a virtual meeting place for their employees and obviously others are seeing it as a means of marketing real properties. You can own the land and put different buildings on it at different times. It's not unusual to visit a place in SL and find it completely changed from the last time you were there.
#13143 by Heinrich
Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:26 am
Do they offer virtual blacklights?

-Redd
#13144 by RPadgett
Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:59 am
I read some of the articles and saw where they plan to allow you to import a 3d model from Maya.
#13149 by Dick Eades
Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:50 am
So far the only reference I've found to it is this:

You can also go a step further and recreate your entire build in a 3D program such as Maya, render realistic shadows and lighting, then import the textures that Maya creates into SL.

They're talking about importing the textures, not the model.
#13152 by RPadgett
Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:52 pm
aaaah yes, I seen that now
#13165 by Greg Blandin
Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:16 pm
It's a great concept and for starting out in Second Life is fine and dandy, but for this concept to go anywhere, they are going to have to building a world that is a copy of the real world. A more professional world then waht Second Life has to offer.

It seems they are trying to create an exact replica of when they intend to build, but that is a very hard thing to do. With the 3d programs people know and are using now, you can give your clients the same feeling.

I think it needs a lot of thought before anybody puts to much time into it.
#13185 by Dick Eades
Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:03 pm
For those interested, here is a response I received on the subject of importing models into Second Life.

http://www.virtualaloft.com/

There are other links that can take you to an area in SL adjacent to the hotel construction site.