Post off topic threads here.
#13645 by MtnArch
Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:33 pm
Has anyone had any experience with - or has anyone seen an application using - HardiPlank (or Certainteed or ...) cement board used on a curved wall? I used it on my house, but on a flat wall - and had a couple snap in half when I tried to carry them on my shoulder.

I have a designer (not licensed, and hasn't started his licensure yet either) who swears that it can be done and that the architectural rep said that it could be done. I had talked with one of the engineers at their main US plant who laughed when I asked and said that it might, but that it would void the warranty.

So I bring this to the collective knowledge of this awesome forum for some direction. Is the designer all wet, or am I?

TIA
#13652 by hh660
Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:46 pm
I have never used it, but if it has a clapboard profile, and you were lapping the pieces, I would think it would be a problem to force it into a compound curvre unless it were extremely gradual.
Stephen
#13659 by Dick Eades
Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:50 am
I think it would work. I've built two houses with this stuff and it will definitely curve if you pick it up with the wide face parallel to the ground, in fact, as you have seen, it is prone to break if carried that way. One thought is to score the back in the traditional manner to make the curve, but it would certainly break if the workers are not super careful in how they handle it. Your experience with it on your own house should remind you that it will curve. You could always set up a test wall.
#13661 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:30 am
Might be able to have a resin duplicate created for the curved wall if the you find the Hardi-Plank doesn't work out, which would bend great. Might be a bit pricy though.