Post off topic threads here.
#13676 by bergerj
Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:43 am
Looking for site plan software that allows me to map a site (cottage, boat house, deck etc) on a survey area to get approval for building. Requirements include adding measurements, calculating birds-eye sq feet, distance from property lines...etc
#13678 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:46 am
DataCAD is very good at this. Do you have any prior cadd experience? Will you be interfacing with an engineer that uses AutoCAD or another cadd program?
#13694 by bergerj
Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:25 pm
I'm trying to hire someone in my area Muskoka's in Ontario but I'm having problems finding someone. I've taken some/most of the measurements and was thinking maybe I could do some of this my self?

Do you think I'm dreaming?
#13702 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:47 pm
No, you're not dreaming - but unless you have some cadd experience it will likely take you some time as you go through the learning curve. DataCAD will be a shorter learning curve than AutoCAD, but you'll still have a learning curve!

This forum is a wonderful place to ask questions as you're starting out and learning the program. Don't be afraid to ask!
#13717 by Ted B
Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:07 pm
The hardest part of site work is remembering how the "compass" works when in "bearings". I usually do all the layout and bearings-work with 'straight-up' being NORTH regardless of how the final drawing will orient. If not a total-pain, I'll even put the title-block and border in at an angle. You can always "rotate" the entire finished drawing to a normal orientation later-on during the drawings process.

One thing to keep in mimd is you can change both the "units" and "compass-type" back and forth while your working on the drawing. This is useful when you have engineers' decimal feet on the drawing, yet need to imput foot-inchs from your architectural drawings. I just wish that when the grid-angle was not "zero", there was a graphic in the lower corner to remind you of the offset compass-directions like Autocad has.
#13733 by MtnArch
Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:39 pm
Here's a cheap trick that I've been using since 1988:

I'll draw the site with north up and let the property lines go where the metes/bounds directs them to. I'll then put a target at each property corner with the crosshairs in the vertical/horizontal position. This way I can rotate the site to my heart's content and always have a reference of the true compass direction!