Post off topic threads here.
#13817 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:48 am
Have not heard of any developments right now here in Fresno (City). I doubt Fresno will have it anytime soon as they are currently working or a PDF archival system first for existing plans. I think review and approved plans will still be hard copies and they will scan their sets to PDF for their records and recycle the set once it's in their system. That's the way I understand it works right now. They do not have Autocad licences for their plan reviewers and are so messed up on their budgeting I don't see it happening for at least 5-10 years here.
#13822 by Sinha
Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:37 pm
Well Josh, DSA in Sacramento is already implementing this. So Fresno will be next I would guess. I will send you the link once I find it. One of our Architects has already been to the seminar.
DSA is soons gonna be askin' us to submit drawings electrically....In DWG format. Datacad, Vectorworks etc. will have to convert to DWG then submit.
I guarranty, they will soon run into compatibility and version issues.
#13824 by TheNextStepp
Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:10 pm
I was at the last DSA workshop regarding this issue. Someone brought up the use of DataCAD and Alan Trevor suggested simply submitting a PDF file instead of the DWG. From what their "tech" guy said a PDF would not work with their "compare function" but would still be acceptable. I will have to double check before I submit anything though. If they are going to be stubborn on the DWG format then its going to cause some serious problems for everyone.
#13825 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:40 pm
Hello,

What version of DWG? I thought this had been settled: you cannot standardize on a proprietary file type? Nevermind the problem if someone was to open the file -- and change it?!
#13837 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:54 pm
Hello,

It is not indeed Autocad what the public organs look for. They need a more sofisticated software installation, to automate the capability to compare among two sequential reviews of a same project, and additionaly handle data management for controlling owner, architect, other designers and complimentary projects, dates, terms, chronology requirements, etc. etc.
The dark side: high cost.

I know at least one software combination that does it: AutoVue, for viewing, and Xerox Docutech(?) (or closer) which are, in tandem, very expensive.
AutoVue (which AFAIK has notting with Autodesk) can read actually DWG from any version, what minors the conversion problems.

Near a week ago, there were several arguments inside a wishlist thread item on this Forum, asking for DataCAD to make available a Viewer for .AEC (&.DC5) file formats, and one of the main reasons was indeed the digital submissions.

I am sure this is not the definitive solution, but it can become strategic for DataCAD Architects.
An AEC Viewer which could allow simplified measurements, redlining and full printing utilities, would be a great improvement to penetrate into the municipal permission issues. This abilities could address a lot of the requirements, and sympatheticaly put us on the 'center of the solution' to many counties that has no funds for making the investments, and so they could start from a smarter cornerstone.
10 among 10 DataCAD users will thank a lot this gift from LLC.

Thanks,
Miguel