Post off topic threads here.
#14046 by Brian Engebretson
Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:18 am
This has nothing to do with DataCAD, but the people on this forum seem to know a little bit about everything. I’m leaving for my wedding/honeymoon soon. We will be spending a week in CA wine country. Sonoma to be more precise. We’ve never been there so I’m asking anyone & everyone for input on places to go, things to see in that area. We’ll be there on Oct 20-25th. If you happen to know of any secret unknown places or even tourist traps that you would consider a “must see”, I would love to hear about it.

Thank you.
Brian
#14052 by Greg Blandin
Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:26 pm
Congratz to you and your fiance'!
#14054 by Steve Scott
Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:50 pm
First, congratulations! Sonoma is in my back yard, but I don't know any specifics off hand. The whole area is a tourist trap and Napa is just over the hill. You can't go wrong on almost anything. Just driving through the Sonoma and Napa Valleys is a treat. It's wine country and there are a million wineries with tasting rooms every couple hundred yards for miles. Up north from Napa is a small town called Calistoga famous for their springs and mud baths. Touring the wine country will be best during weekdays, as weekends are packed with tourists. Explore and find your own special places. You're not far from the ocean and Point Reyes, or anything on the coast for that matter, is really cool. Hope this helps a bit.
#14058 by MtnArch
Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:53 pm
Yep, go to Calistoga (northern end of the Napa Valley) and take the tram ride up to the Sterling Vineyards winery. It sits on top of a hill overlooking the northern end of the Napa Valley - very spectacular! The winery was designed back in the '60's to reflect the architecture of a Greek island (Mykonos?).

You could also take a side trip to Bodega Bay and see where Alfred Hitchcock filmed "The Birds" (plus the Bay is beautiful!).

Have fun!
#14061 by Steve Baldwin
Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:37 pm
Brian Engebretson wrote:This has nothing to do with DataCAD, but the people on this forum seem to know a little bit about everything.

Isn't that typical of architects? ...Knows a little about everything -- Knows a lot about nothing?

(So I've heard)
#14064 by Greg Blandin
Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:20 pm
Steve Baldwin wrote:Isn't that typical of architects?

Straight from the horses mouth!
#14082 by Brian Engebretson
Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:08 pm
Thanks everyone.

For those of you with offices in the Sonoma area, if someone stops by your office handing out resumes and smelling of wine, that will be me. I’m thinking the little lady will love the area so much that I might not be able to get her on a plane back to endure another MN winter.

Alan, I looked into the Sterling Vineyard. Outstanding! It’s now on the top of our list of things to do. Thanks for the tip.
#14083 by Greg Blandin
Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:16 pm
Brian Engebretson wrote:endure another MN winter.

Hurrpmmmphhhttt...

For that comment, I hope you stay there! :P
#14087 by MtnArch
Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:24 pm
I had the same problem with my wife (and we are only 6 hours south and east of Sonoma) - until she realized that to get the same house and property that we now have, we'd have to spend almost $2mil (we built it custom for +/-$420,000 on 1-acre).

Have fun!
#14089 by Greg Blandin
Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:45 pm
MtnArch wrote:(we built it custom

An architect build a custom home. Say it ain't so!
#14095 by Brian Engebretson
Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:36 pm
Greg Blandin wrote:

Hurrpmmmphhhttt...

I’m as die hard Minnesotan as anyone, but every January or so, I ask myself “Why do I live here?” But I guess every region has it’s bad side, right? :)
#14099 by Greg Blandin
Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:40 pm
Brian Engebretson wrote:
Greg Blandin wrote:

Hurrpmmmphhhttt...

I’m as die hard Minnesotan as anyone, but every January or so, I ask myself “Why do I live here?” But I guess every region has it’s bad side, right? :)

"I" *proudly* am still trying to find Minnesota's. Other then the Vikings.
#14269 by Steve Scott
Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:54 pm
Well, now that I think about it, games 1 and 2 of the World Series will be
in Oakland, less than 50 miles away from Sonoma! :wink: Twins fans may
not be much interested, but just thought I'd let you know. :twisted:
#14270 by Greg Blandin
Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:57 pm
Steve Scott wrote:Well, now that I think about it, games 1 and 2 of the World Series will be
in Oakland, less than 50 miles away from Sonoma! :wink: Twins fans may
not be much interested, but just thought I'd let you know. :twisted:

AFter last night, I think the are going to be a bit further away from Sonoma. How far is it to Detroit from there?