Post off topic threads here.
#106 by jimgoodman
Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:58 am
Does anyone have a recommendation on fax software for Windows? We don't need anything fancy, but links to Windows address books and editing of custom cover pages etc. would be helpful.
#127 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:59 pm
What version of windows are you using? And is a standard phone line to be use or are you using a large corprate phone system? If you are using a large corprate system, I would recommend contacting the provider, and see what they can offer. A lot of the fax over lan software avalible now is good from the major vendors. If you will be using a standard phone line, Windows XP has a good fax application, but it may not be installed. Go to your add and remove programs, and Click Add/Remove Windows Components and make sure Fax Services is Checked. If it is not, Check the box, and click Next. You might be prompted to insert your Windows Disk for the install of the application. When it's finished, I believe the Fax App will be added to your Accessories/Communications/Fax/ folder in your Start Menu.
#173 by jimgoodman
Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:53 pm
We will probably install on a Windows 2000 machine. I thought that Windows had a basic fax application included. I will check that out.

Also, your avitar implies that you could pass for a young Christopher Lloyd. Is the photo really you?
#1266 by DBrennfoerder
Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:07 am
I downloaded Impact ColorFax Lite (free) because it promised to be able to fax in color from the computer, but the software says "class 1 modem not found" . :cry: My documentation says my Dell Inspiron 9100 is supplied with a class 1,2,3 modem, so I'm at a loss. I was hoping to be able to fax in color. BTW, the fax is a great way to get prints from your laptop when on the road, as in a motel. I just dial the motel's fax number from the room, send a fax addressed to me, and go to the desk to pick it up later. They never charge for incoming faxes, so the print is free and I don't have to carry a printer anymore. Unfortunately, many motels have digital phone systems, so there isn't a clean line to dial out on.