Post off topic threads here.
#52976 by nevyok
Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:01 am
Neil ..... PlugInAmerica PSAs ..... LIKE WOWEE MATE !..... THIS IS GOING TO AUSTRALIA MATE ! My brother in Geelong Victoria Australia will absolutely love it ..... thanks heaps Neil ..... COUNT ME IN ! Cheers Nev Griffiths !
#52977 by nevyok
Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:56 am
HEY NEIL ..... YOUR BLOG IS ACE MATE ! CHEERS NEV.
#52978 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:12 am
Hi Neville,

Actually, there are no rules or creeds in traditional Quakerism -- and the actual name of the church is The Religious Society of Friends. We have Queries, rather than creeds, and we have generally silent worship, with anybody in the Meeting speaking when they feel led to do so.

Here is my Yearly Meeting web site, if you are interested in learning a bit more:

http://neym.org/
#53238 by Neil Blanchard
Tue May 17, 2011 8:17 am
I found the place we can watch "Dirt! The Movie" for free at any time, on Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/191666/dirt-the-movie

If you have an ad blocker in your browser, you will need to disable it and sit through a 30 second advertisement, to be able to watch it.

This is an excellent film not only because it helps one better understand global climate change, but also because the solution is made obvious.
#57393 by Neil Blanchard
Tue May 22, 2012 2:00 pm
Well, I just finished doing the TV "shoot" for Chronicle at WCVB TV, the local ABC affiliate, and we had a long chat about ecodriving and ecomodding. They probably got plenty of material, with several shots outside the xA, me driving on the local streets, then inside the car for some ecodriving techniques; and also a fair amount on my CarBEN EV5 design: the 3D model and CAD drawings, as well as the three scale models and the full sized pieces.

:)

I'll know more about possible broadcast date, etc. and when I do, I'll post it here. And I have a new blog post about ecodriving:

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/2012/05/ecodriving-aka-hypermiling.html
#57396 by joshhuggins
Tue May 22, 2012 3:09 pm
Cool dude! Congrats sounds fun!
#57514 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:38 pm
The chronicle show that I was interviewed for will be shown a week from today -- Thursday June 14th @ 7:30pm. It's on Channel 5 here in the Boston area.

I was interviewed, and I showed my aero-modded Scion xA, I drove it; and I showed my CarBEN EV5 open source design as well. They were here for over two hours, and took probably an hour of video, so most of it won't make it into the show.

Our show on alternative fuels/hypermiling, etc is slated for next Thursday, the 14th. The show will be posted on our website the following day...but just for ONE DAY. You can bookmark the video link for each segment, though, and you will have access for ever and ever. Feel free to post on websites, and share w family, friends, and Hollywood talent agents.

That's Ch 5 at 7:30. But you knew that... :D

Big thanks to all!

Cheers,
Clint

Clint Conley
Field Producer
WCVB-TV Boston :: WCVB.com
Chronicle facebook.com/wcvb5

#57519 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:08 pm
The full show (~1/2 hour) will be online for 24 hours following the broadcast; and then the separate segments will be online indefinitely.

http://www.wcvb.com/chronicle

Here's the page for the Thursday show I'm in: http://www.wcvb.com/chronicle/Thursday-June-14-MPG-OMG/-/12523032/14691008/-/pubkd8z/-/index.html

Here I am waving my arms making some sort of point...
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
#57520 by MtnArch
Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:28 pm
Totally cool, Neil! Great job!!!
#61157 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:24 am
Okay, here's my testing jig:

ImageImageImageImageImage

The 10' long 2x6 weighs ~19+ pounds. The three wood rods are 1 3/8" (1.375") diameter (closet poles) and the two supports are 10" apart, with the top bearing rod is in the middle; 5" from the two supports. The center line of the bearing rod is 5 11/16" (5.6875") from the hinge. The 2' piece of the steel tape extends to 10' from the bearing rod center line.

When I put the digital bathroom scale (only accurate to about 0.5 pound) under the free end of the 2x6 arm, it correctly indicates ~9.5 pounds, because half the weight is held up by the hinge. When I put the scale under the bearing rod, it indicates between 155-160 pounds.

This is where it gets a bit more complicated - the ~6" on either side of the pressure rod weighs approximately 2 pounds and it acts "normally", and the 17+ pounds (the weight of the rest of the bearing rod to the free end) are acting like they are ~9' away (the distance to the free end), which works out to about 155 pounds, which is almost exactly what my bathroom scale indicates...

That would be ~25.8 pounds per linear inch across the 6" wide sample. When I add my 25.5 pound cast iron/lead filled weight at 1', 2', 3' etc. along the 2x6 arm the jig will be exerting some serious force on the samples. The (estimated) 900 pound battery pack that is about 7' long will come to "only" about 10.7 pounds per inch - and that is across about 4' span - 8X more material, at least.

I looked for @#$%&+! hours today for my large C-clamps and while *know* they are somewhere (I last used them last summer...) I'm gonna' go buy some new ones to anchor the jig at the pivot end, so I can actually use it.

But in the trial run, the 10oz E-glass sample deflects a lot, but it holds up well and springs right back. I strongly suspect I will need at least 2 layers of glass fabric, and maybe more to get the stiffness I need.

I will try to dimension the pictures, if that will help clarify things.