Post off topic threads here.
#1974 by pmerkl
Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:58 pm
I have been a Datacad user since its start (microtecture) in the early 80's. I would like to see Datacad do more advertising in the Cadd community. I know in the past it was different and their was actually a magizine out there, but I find more and more people going to AutoCad. I have used it and believe it to be one step above a pencil, even with the arch. desktop. I just wish that more Architects could findout the real capabilities of Datacad. From the begining Datacad was way out front on what it could do, Its seemed to slip behind. I wish it could get back to its place as the Design package that was once supported by the AIA.

Thanks
P. Merkl Architect
Phoenix, AZ.
#2003 by Mark Bell
Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:35 pm
....I agree, here in Australia, DataCAD's prominence has slipped dramatically over the past decade, replaced by Archicad which has had agressive marketing. DataCAD still has a good user base, but it appears to be with small-office/one-person practices. Even the universtities have jumped to Archicad/AutoCAD as their preferred teaching systems. If the pricing structure in the US is similar to what it is over here, then it's reasonable to expect minimum/no marketing + low purchase/upgrade costs v large marketing + large purchase/upgrade costs. As long as DataCAD remains performance and price competetive, being in the lime light is no longer of importance (apart from available user base), as we continually win projects over other practices running both Archicad and AutoCAD + add-ons!