Post off topic threads here.
#2018 by kpegram
Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:50 am
We just installed a new server in our office. We were running W 2000 on on our peer to peer network Now all user/desktop files are server based & The server is running M.S. Small Business Server. However DATACADv9 did not want to run untill I gave each user administrative privilidges. How do I run Datacadv9 on my xp & 2000 machines without giving them administrative privilidges? What rights do uses need to run DataCad v9

Thank you,

kPegram :lol:
#2030 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:54 pm
Hi.

You only need to give the users administrator privliges on the local machine - DON"T make them domain admins!!!!!

What you will need to do is put the users DOMAIN account (which is a normal doman user) into the local administrator group on there respective workstations - Actually if you properly create the computer account using the SBS wizard, and join the workstation to the domain by running the "connect computer" wizard, the users account will automatically be put into the LOCAL administrator group on the machine by the wizard.

If the workstation has already been joined to the domain, then all you need to do is put the users domain account into the workstations local admin group.

Aaron
#2054 by kpegram
Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:18 pm
Thank you Aaron,

What if I don't want the user to be an admin on their local computer and only a user? Previously we had all our DataCad 9 seats running from a local user account and not as an administrator. We only had one of two new XP machines that would not run DataCad 9 from the local user account. That machine had to be logged in as an Administrator, but we could not figure out why.

Thanks,

Kyle
#2056 by Mark Toce
Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:45 pm
kpegram wrote:Thank you Aaron,

What if I don't want the user to be an admin on their local computer and only a user? Previously we had all our DataCad 9 seats running from a local user account and not as an administrator. We only had one of two new XP machines that would not run DataCad 9 from the local user account. That machine had to be logged in as an Administrator, but we could not figure out why.

Thanks,

Kyle

You should be able to grant the user full permissions on the DCADWIN.INI file without making them an Administrator. As long as the user has permissions on this file, located in the C:\Windows (or C:\WinNT) folder, it should work.
#2130 by kpegram
Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:00 pm
Thanks Mark,
This was what I needed! :D
Now I have just one problem.
The one computer which had to be run in admin mode before the server switchover had no problems plotting to our hpdesign jet 500 42. After switching over to the server but before giving access to the .ini file this XP machine when running DataCad could not find the Architectural Paper Sizes of paper even though they were clearly installed when viewing the printer properties in both DataCad and Windows.
I reinstalled DataCad and the latest Hardlock Driver. Now the same Machinge give me the following error when trying to plot to the HPDesignjet 500 42, "Printer selected is invalid"
All other 4 computes have no problem accessing the hp500
Can you Help :cry:
#2131 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:16 am
Hello Kyle:

If the HP 500 is less than a year old, you could call HP Tech Support -- they are pretty darn good! If it is older than one year, there will likely be a reasonable charge ($35? for the incident?), but this may well be worth every penny...
#2170 by Mark Toce
Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:15 am
kpegram wrote:Thanks Mark,
This was what I needed! :D
Now I have just one problem.
The one computer which had to be run in admin mode before the server switchover had no problems plotting to our hpdesign jet 500 42. After switching over to the server but before giving access to the .ini file this XP machine when running DataCad could not find the Architectural Paper Sizes of paper even though they were clearly installed when viewing the printer properties in both DataCad and Windows.
I reinstalled DataCad and the latest Hardlock Driver. Now the same Machinge give me the following error when trying to plot to the HPDesignjet 500 42, "Printer selected is invalid"
All other 4 computes have no problem accessing the hp500
Can you Help :cry:

You need to exit DataCAD and open the HP DesignJet 500 driver to configure the available paper sizes. The method for doing so depends on the driver version number.

Open the Printers control panel, right click the 500 and choose Properties. On the Paper Standard tab, check Architectural.

If this is not an option, click Cancel, then right click the 500 and choose Printing Preferences. On the Paper tab, click the More Sizes button, or pick Edit Paper List in the list of available sizes. Now check Architectural in the list of used standards.

DataCAD 9 was released before the HP DesignJet 500 series, so this plotter was not originally supported. A free update was issued for DataCAD to add support for it. Go to https://www.datacad.com/update/update_dc9.htm to download the last update for DataCAD 9.
#2242 by kpegram
Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:00 pm
Thank you Mark,
I installed the update and this fixed the problem.
Thanks again,
KPegram :D