Post off topic threads here.
#37999 by bgttu
Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:03 am
Yawl

I need to reload / reinstall W2K Pro on a HDD. I aborted after getting to a point where it said I'd lose everything in My Documents. Therefore, I have a different question.

Reloading the same OS, or upgrading to XP, will it adopt the original settings, internet access, Outlook Express, etc ... or will I have to reconfigure all of it?

I had a new HDD on the same PC with XP loaded. I put the exg HDD on the same PC as a slave drive. Using the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard, I couldn't find any way to get it to read the 1st drive/partition on the slave drive as the "old computer".

From my previous post, you may recall that HDD is not bootable, but I do need the settings from the drive. So, I'll reload the OS if I don't lose those settings.

Also, isn't there a way to "low level format" the drive without destroying any of the data on the drive. That could solve the original problem. If so, how is that done?