Post off topic threads here.
#3207 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:10 am
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this detail. I need a detail for a light weight cocrete "stoop" over a finished basement area, using 4" concrete over a metal pan. This is for residential construction. I know I've seen this type of situation before, but have never had to do anything like this before now, so I'm a little lost, especially on how it is flashed where it connects to the house. The stoop is covered and is only approximately 3.5'x5'.

Thanks for any help.

Aaron
#3209 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:19 am
Hello Aaron:

I'm not sure that concrete is required, or is the best way to go. Maybe a roof membrane, topped with a wood "mat" would be better? In which case, the detail at the wall would be more like a parapet.
#3251 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:19 am
Neil,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm inserting a couple of links to PDF files of section details I have started to show what I am trying to detail. I guess my biggest question is on flashing and water proofing.

PDF DET1
PDF DET2

I welcome any advice or comments from ANY one (Detailing is -sadly -NOT one of my strong points!!

Thanks

Aaron

DET1
DET2
#3252 by Leigh
Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:10 pm
Hi Aaron:

The way I have handled this kind of problem is to cover the sub conc. with a waterproof membrane which I would glue up the walls or up and under the door sill. I would then place a min 1" grout with a slate or non slip exterior tile over the membrane. If the sub conc. did not get placed with a slope to drain (preffered) then the grout should be sloped. I would also reccomend that a drip cap be placed at the bottom of the siding and over the top edge of the slate/tile base kick.
#3253 by Neil Blanchard
Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:05 pm
Hi Aaron:

If you pitch the porch floor, and use a membrane to cover the whole thing, then the deck could be concrete or it could be wood...

BTW, the Detail #2 shows a toilet in the overhanging second floor -- that is not a good idea, since the trap will be hard to insulate well enough to never freeze?! If possible, you might want to change the bathroom layout to avoid water pipes in the floor over the inset porch.
#3255 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:13 pm
:oops:

My 2x "LEGER" in the details should actually read: 2x LEDGER <embarassed grin>

Aaron
#3256 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:16 pm
Thank you Leigh for your suggestions!

Neil - You have a very good point - I'm beginning to think prehaps I should enclose the entire area and eliminate BOTH issues - Think I will run it by the home owner.

Thanks!

Aaron
#3266 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:02 am
Hello Aaron:

The solution for the the porch-floor-as-a-roof issue is, of course, to make the foundation follow the exterior walls. Is this plausible in your situation?

And, other than rearranging the bathroom, the best solution for the exposed plumbing would be a dropped porch ceiling with uninterrupted insulation -- this requires the extra height of the insulation. If this is possible, then things could stay where they are?