Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#79860 by Roger D
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:04 pm
You can use the Free PDF Tools to merge, split, reorder, delete, encrypt, decrypt, rotate, crop and reformat PDF pages, add information/header/footer/watermark, convert image to PDF or PDF to image, scan a Paper to PDF, and more. You can use the FREE PDF Editor to fill the form, type text, comment, create form, and more. Besides, with a fraction of the cost of Adobe Acrobat, PDFill PDF Editor can do more than the Free Adobe Reader.

The one annoying items is when you close the fee version, it takes you to the web site, so I just leave it on in the background.

I might take a look at Dave's suggestion.
#79861 by dhs
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:20 pm
I might take a look at Dave's suggestion

I have only ever used PDFsam Basic to merge and split files. It does have some other capabilities (mix, rotate, table of contents, update bookmarks) but I have never used them. I have never had a problem using it although I don't use it all that often. It is an open-source project and has a relatively small installation on disk (around 15MB). I have never experienced any nag screens or automatic links to websites etc.
#79863 by joshhuggins
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:49 pm
I LOVE Tracker PDF XChange's suite of products. Their licenses are perpetual with 12 months of updates included. The bulk of the features of the main PDF XChange program are included in the free version. You can compare the features in the free and paid version here. https://www.tracker-software.com/produc ... r#features Worth checking out for sure. :D
#79865 by Dave
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:46 pm
Aaron Ben-Avraham wrote:What is the best and least expensive (or free) OFFLINE PDF utility, especially for merging PDF's

Thanks!

Aaron

PDFCreator.
I use the basic version and don't install PDFArchitect .
Can setup printers for different sheet sizes.
Merge pdfs.
Create a PDF letterhead/invoice and then set that up as a watermark and create a PDF printer to always add that watermark. I have one set as invoice and another as statment printers - different watermarks

Have used for years.

DaveR
#79868 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:27 am
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I also found one additional in the Windows Store called "PDF Merger and Splitter" from Anywaysoft which works fairly well. What prompted my question was setting up Windows 10 on a new installation. My goto for years has been PDFBinder from Google, but when I went to install it I couldn't find it at first and was in a bit of a "panic". I had both previously saved a copy of the MSI file for PDFBinder as well as a link to the Google Projects page in my bookmarks, but couldn't find them. After a lot of digging I finally did find them (after posting my question) and now have PDFBinder set up like I did on my other PC. I'm used to a certain workflow and even minor things like having to change a goto program really throws me off!! I definitely am going to look at the other options you guys have given me to see if there is anything that may make my work easier, but for now having gotten back to my previous workflow - well I am happy! Many Thanks for all the suggestions.

Aaron
#79869 by David Porter
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:11 pm
PDF Xchange. Simple learning curve and blows even the full version of Adobe Acrobat out of the water with functionality.
#81392 by Giuseppe Barberio
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:40 am
joshhuggins wrote:I LOVE Tracker PDF XChange's suite of products. Their licenses are perpetual with 12 months of updates included. The bulk of the features of the main PDF XChange program are included in the free version. You can compare the features in the free and paid version here. https://www.tracker-software.com/produc ... r#features Worth checking out for sure. :D

Josh, can you scale the PDF using this software? If I open a PDF and I want to scale a floor plan that was created at 1/4”=1’-0” could it be done? Do you know if it works on a IPad?

Thanks for your help
#81393 by joshhuggins
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:22 pm
Giuseppe Barberio wrote:Josh, can you scale the PDF using this software? If I open a PDF and I want to scale a floor plan that was created at 1/4”=1’-0” could it be done?
Yes, it has a measurement tool that you can measure or add dimensions with. It's pretty basic, but works well. You have to have one known measurement to set the scaling factor with. It can't snap to exact corners and such like a CAD app but it works very well for free hand dimensioning and scaling. I use it all the time for measuring other people's plans. you can also save commonly used scale factors so you only have to calibrate once for a known set of scales. I am not sure which version of PDF XChange it comes with, I have the Pro pack which has everything. You could hop over to their forum and ask. They have a great support staff and user base. https://forum.tracker-software.com

Giuseppe Barberio wrote:Do you know if it works on a IPad?
As far as I know, they do not have any iOS software, just for Windows.
#81395 by Giuseppe Barberio
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:28 pm
Mark Bell wrote:Why not just use DataCAD's own PDF Merge feature? It's free with DataCAD and you can use it without opening a drawing on other PDF's.

Hi Mark,

Where is the free DCAD merge command? I’m not familiar with it.
I’m currently using DCAD 22.

With respect to my earlier post about PDF editing, I’m really looking for something that I can use to mark up drawings easily. When having meetings with clients, I would like to be able to create a digital mark up of drawings as a record of my client meeting

Thanks
#81396 by Joseph Baron
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:46 pm
DataCAD PDF Merge.jpg
DataCAD PDF Merge.jpg (22.13 KiB) Viewed 10720 times
#81397 by MtnArch
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:03 pm
After fighting to not pay for/buy Bluebeam Revu I finally bit the bullet and have to admit it's been worth every penny so far. It's not cheap and I chose to pay for the first year maintenance plan along with the perpetual license but after the maintenance expires I'll just use the perpetual license.
#81398 by Giuseppe Barberio
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:06 pm
MtnArch wrote:After fighting to not pay for/buy Bluebeam Revu I finally bit the bullet and have to admit it's been worth every penny so far. It's not cheap and I chose to pay for the first year maintenance plan along with the perpetual license but after the maintenance expires I'll just use the perpetual license.

I have been looking at Bluebeam Revu for IPad. I like the idea of having the same software that I can use on my PC or an IPad. Have you used it on IPad? If so, does the Apple Pencil work well with it?

Thanks