Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#47217 by hh660
Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:32 am
Good morning. I'm looking at an HP Officejet 7000 13X19 printer. Does anyone have one of these or has anyone heard good or bad things about them?
On an aside, has anyone had any experience with voice recongnition software? I've got a lot of site inspections and punch lists coming up and really don't look forward to the notes and typing.

Thanks,
Stephen
#47227 by Nick Pyner
Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:40 pm
hh660 wrote: has anyone had any experience with voice recongnition software? I've got a lot of site inspections and punch lists coming up and really don't look forward to the notes and typing.

If your laptop has Vista, there is voice recognition package built in. My brother uses it and is very pleased with it. This, and the DVD burner are about the best things VIsta has to offer. About the only other serious voice recognition was Dragon. It seems pretty clear that this has gone the way of WinFax and Nero.
#47228 by Ben at TJB Architects
Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:25 pm
Dragon seems to be in the process of being re-branded as Naturally Speaking...or maybe Dragon was purchased by Nuance?
Either way, here's their website.
Not exactly cheap...

http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking ... efault.asp

I haven't had the opportunity, but do intend to try out this software sometime this year.
#47229 by Nick Pyner
Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:52 pm
Ben at TJB Architects wrote:Dragon seems to be in the process of being re-branded as Naturally Speaking...or maybe Dragon was purchased by Nuance?

I'm sure Dragon has used the term "naturally speaking" since they first started

Not exactly cheap...

Indeed. So would you bother to get it without using Microsoft first?

I intend to try out this software sometime this year.
#47230 by Ben at TJB Architects
Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:02 pm
Hmmm...I had thought (maybe mistakenly) that they had a trial version.
What is the Microsoft version called?
Is it available in Windows 7?
#47231 by Nick Pyner
Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:50 pm
It's just called "speech recognition" and is accessible through the Vista control panel. You can be pretty sure it will be in Windows 7 too, but you might have to dig a bit for it!.
#48104 by Daniel Kaczor
Thu May 20, 2010 8:35 pm
hh660 wrote:Good morning. I'm looking at an HP Officejet 7000 13X19 printer. Does anyone have one of these or has anyone heard good or bad things about them?

Purchased an HP 7000 last week. So far, it has been outstanding. Excellent resolution, fast per page output. Still monitoring ink use, printed about 100 11 x 17 pages more than 1/2 of a tank of black ink remaining. Seems to be on target with published reports. My old Epson R1200 would go through a tank of black at 200 pages @ $35 per tank versus $20 per tank for the HP, I should be saving a few bucks. Recommended thus far, time will tell.
#48117 by hh660
Fri May 21, 2010 10:14 am
Thanks for the input, Daniel. I'm thinking that the 7000 is the way to go. Did you purchase yours on line or from a big box?
I'm seeing them for $230 or so.

Stephen
#48125 by Daniel Kaczor
Fri May 21, 2010 11:57 am
hh660 wrote:Thanks for the input, Daniel. I'm thinking that the 7000 is the way to go. Did you purchase yours on line or from a big box?
I'm seeing them for $230 or so.

Stephen

I purchased in store at Office Max, $199. It was available online at the same price, but, I needed it that day.
#48165 by hh660
Mon May 24, 2010 8:28 am
Thanks, Daniel.

Stephen