Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#47503 by Nick Pyner
Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:25 am
I guess $300 is a bit too cheapskate for colour, so I assume you mean black only, in which case the HP 5200L is a pretty obvious choice. I don't think you will get them for that sort of money down at your local office supplies either, but you probably can on-line, with proper warranty. HP are always coy about distinguishing between a chute and a tray. Mine feeds A3 in a chute and A4 from a tray. A3 trays are availabale. The 5200 is the direct descendant of the mighty 4MV, which should be recommendation enough - and it weighs about half as much too.
#47505 by dannac
Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:14 am
Yes .... I forgot to mention, no need for color.

I got a HP Laserjet 5SI for approx $300 a few years ago off eBay.
It only prints from the 3rd tray (A3), whenever it decides to bootup.
Do not want to put any money into it.

Thanks for the info.
#47506 by dannac
Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:19 am
Nick ..... the HP 5200L .... $2500.
#47512 by Nick Pyner
Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:49 pm
Ah well, it's definitely not for me to say $2500 well spent but, if you are seriously into printing, it probably is.

I got mine off eBay for about $AU350 a couple of years or so ago. I wasn't game to check the store-bought price. I guess it was recoed ex-lease, as indeed was its predeccor, the 4MV, but it looks, feels and performs like a new one. It also has some sort of warranty.

Once you've owned a 4MV, all you will settle for is something just like it.

I don't know if this is commonplace or not, but one thing I particulalrly like about it is that it runs a lot cooler than the 4MV and printing double sided is simple and reliable. There is a duplex tray but it is expensive.