Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#51229 by Ted B
Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:16 am
In looking at new monitors for the new PC CAD station that I'm planning to get after Christmas I've noticed that most of the "large monitors" these days seem to be the 1902x1080-class...the same as most typical HD-TVs on the market. The selection and availablility of 1920x1200 monitors is fairly limited by comparison, and much pricier. many retailer don't even carry or list 1920X1200 monitors.

At-first I'll only have one screen, but I'd like to go dual screen eventually...so I definitely plan on getting a PC video card with two monitor jacks. Having two different sized screens seems awkward, so I want to get the "right" monitor the first time that I can feel reasonably confident that I can get the same monitor later.

I'm wondering if it's more cost-effective balanced against actual practicality and eye-strain to go with a larger 1920x1080 screen than spending the additional money for the 1920x1200 screens. One issue that concerns me is that I've read that you really need the 1200-pixel width to read .pdf-file at full page left-n-right. Many of the online catalogs and codes are best read full-screen dual page.
#51230 by Neil Blanchard
Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:54 am
I find the proportions better with the extra 200 pixels in the vertical direction is important in DataCAD. Things get a little bit skinny with a 1080 monitor. My main screen at the moment (24" iMac) is 1920 x 1200, and when you put the menus on the side, it still leaves a very usable "piece" of the drawing. With 200 fewer pixels in the shorter direction means you have to zoom back more often to see something.