Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#52962 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:09 pm
I think they are very similar in function, and are the same cost. I use VMware Fusion and I like it a lot. It has a mode called Unity which shows DataCAD or any Windows program appear like it is on the Mac OSX desktop. Or, you can run with a Windows desktop that is exactly like what you see on a PC that covers all the monitor(s); or you can run in a window showing your Windows Desktop.
#52963 by mswuarch
Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:37 pm
Thanks Neil. I'm confused about the print drivers. I'm using Mac office and datacad in Windows 7. Do I have to install both MAc and windows print drivers that will be available for each operating system? Also should I install the 32 or 64 version of windows 7?
#52964 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:36 pm
If you have 8GB or more of RAM in the system, and you want to use 4GB or more for Win7, then use the 64bit version. If you only need 2 or 3 GB fro Win7 and DataCAD X3 , then you can use the 32 bit. You'll need at least 1.5-2GB for OSX to run in, and if you want to run a program or two on the Mac side, while Win7 is running then more would be good. I think it would be wise to have 8GB and run 3-4GB for Win7 and the remainder for OSX. RAM i pretty inexpensive (I think four 4GB sticks or 16GB total is about $200 from NewEgg?), so 16GB in the system is not too far fetched.

Windows shares the hardware with MAC OSX, and Mac OSX hosts VMware or Parallels Desktop. If you print from Win7, then you only need the Win7 drivers -- they work using the hardware just like they would if OSX wasn't there. This is what Fusion or Parallels does. When you install, it, it partitions the hard drive, and then you install Win7, just like you would on any computer. The installation happens inside a window on the OSX desktop. They are "networked" together automatically. In Win7, you will see your OSX Documents folder as a network drive. If you put your DataCAD drawings there, then you can access them from the OSX side, to email them for example. And they will be backed up as part of Time Machine.

Speaking of which, if you do not already have an external hard drive (or some other place to back up OSX with Time Machine) then please go get one! I would get one that is larger than the hard drive in the Mac -- it will keep as many generations of files and the entire machine as there is space for. It keeps the newest backups, and as many older ones as it can. This is important to do, and it does it automatically, every hour.

I hope this helps -- if you have any questions, just ask.
#53117 by mswuarch
Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:05 pm
Thanks Neil. I load parallels and windows 7, Updated to Datacad X3. I'll install the windows print drivers later. What are you doing about the key board short cuts. Nothing seems to work exactly the same. I think I should get another windows key when I run Datacad? Also the mac mouse is tough logic mouse as well? Finally, wher can I fin my symbol files to move from my old machine to the new machine?
thanks for your help.
MSWU
#53124 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:13 am
You will have to copy your DcadWin.mcr file over from v12; and you may have to adjust the keyboard settings (and possibly mouse?) so that they do not default to OSX functions. The Control key and the middle mouse button are the two most important to "release" from OSX so they function the way you need them to in Win7. You'll have to poke around in Parallels Desktop and possibly in OSX for the middle button -- it has to be set up to be available in OSX in order to work in Win7; if that makes sense?