Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#53174 by Michael Olney
Thu May 05, 2011 1:57 pm
For those interested, I was able to get an Asus Eee Slate (Pad) recently...those can definitely be difficult to find right now. Anyway, I would recommend it to anyone who likes or needs to use a pen. It's definitely the best tablet that I've used. It uses the Wacom pen technology so the pen is pressure-sensitive and it's very easy to use and write with. It even recognizes my hurried handwriting pretty easily, which can be difficult for some people to do. It comes with Windows 7 64bit Home version, so it can use any Windows software. Also, very little effort is needed for the touch-screen, it registers even a light touch, which, by the way, is automatically deactivated when it senses that the pen is close to the screen (convenient for writing and resting the hand on the screen).

Be aware that there are two versions: one has a 32GB SSD hard drive with 2GB RAM and the other has a 64GB SSD hard drive with 4 GB RAM. I would recommend getting the 64GB and 4GB RAM as the prices are pretty close and you can't easily change the hard drive with this. Both versions come with a bluetooth keyboard and a carrying case that make it easy to set the screen at an angle.

The screen is 12" and is about the same size as a paper notebook, so the screen isn't huge, but I've found that it works pretty well with DataCAD. As far as using DataCAD on it, the pen works pretty well with it. The pen that comes with it doesn't have the dual button like my Intuos has, but I plan on ordering one. This way I can set one button for middle-click and the other for right-click.

It does not have a dvd/cd/blu-ray drive, so you would need to get an external drive in order to install anything requiring one. The battery life is a little low, about 2 hours, depending on your settings and what you're trying to do.

The price is about $1,150 for the better 64GB/4GB version and can be found on Amazon, NewEgg, and a few other websites. I've found that NewEgg has the best prices, so far. I hear the Best Buy in Canada has them as well, but I can't confirm that.

Overall, I am very pleased with this tablet and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a tablet.

Full Specs:
http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/