Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#55775 by pjmerkl
Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:13 pm
I am just looking into upgrading my cadd system. Jumping up from dacad 11 to 14. Also I am going to replace my 2005 hp computer. I do have other graphics programs like Corel Draw, 3d max and Autocad 2001. I like the AMD processors like the Phenom II x 6 but is this over kill? Am I better off just putting a little extra money into system memory or graphics card? Also which is better I see some mother boards have on board graphics with 512 shared memory. Is it still better to have a add on video card with the 512 on board? Heres the system that I was thinking about. A ASROCK motherboard with available memory slots for 32mb of memory, 8 megs of ddr3 memory, 1 terabyte HD, ATI Radeon HD 6670 graphics card with 1 gig memory. Dual 19" LCD monitors. System cost about $500 ( already have the monitors). New operating system - windows 7. Any thoughts?
#55785 by Neil Blanchard
Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:17 pm
With Win7 you need 2GB of RAM just to boot the system, so 4GB is a minimum you would want to have. I'd say go for 6 or 8GB. And 1GB or more on the video car is good for 3D things, like SketchUp. A 6 core CPU is plenty, but good to have considering things like antivirus etc. running in the background. And I'd get a card with 2 DVI outputs, for sure.

The AMD chips are no longer in the higher performance category -- the Intel i5 or i7 quad core CPU's are much faster than even the 6 core AMD's. You are probably right that today's machines are not limited by their CPU's, but the Intel i3, i5 and i7 are the best performers in their categories, by a large margin.
#61656 by ORWoody
Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:30 pm
Neil:
I have been led to believe that Win7 and Win8 only recognize 4 Gigs (unless they are used on a 64 bit system). I am assuming that you were advising that also without saying it.
But.... am I wrong about that? I am just regurgitating whatever I read and that certainly doesn't make any part of it be accurate.
Thanks,
Woody
#61662 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:43 am
I'm fairly sure that most Win7 and all Win8 systems are 64bit. I think that 6-8GB is minimum on a Win7, and 8GB or more on Win8. Win8 seems like it might be keeping things running in the background more; I'm not sure on this, but it can't hurt to have more RAM.
#61718 by Nick Pyner
Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:26 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:I'm fairly sure that most Win7 and all Win8 systems are 64bit. I think that 6-8GB is minimum on a Win7, and 8GB or more on Win8. Win8 seems like it might be keeping things running in the background more; I'm not sure on this, but it can't hurt to have more RAM.

That's not right for Win8, and therefore not likely to be right for Win7 either. Win8 comes with 2 disks, 32 bit and 64 bit. In the installation process the recommended default is 32Bit. I bought Win8 in order to free up an extra gig of memory but I followed the dots and it didn't work, so I was stuck with 3.25 Gb of RAM.

I guess I would have gotten the extra RAM if I had installed the 64 bit version, but the panic was over and I have reverted to XP. Windows 8 ran fine with 3Gb, no better or worse than XP from what I saw. My problem was the handling of a huge imported model in DataCad, 87 Mb. I fixed it by stripping out junk and rebuilding with DataCad.

As an aside, this was a bitter lesson. I fell into the trap of taking on somebody else's 3D model, probably made with some crap from Autodesk, resulting in a week-long nightmare. The accompanying 2D design drawings were excellent, clear, and accurate. I would have been far better off raising an all-new model from those, using DataCad version 7.
#61719 by Neil Blanchard
Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:07 pm
It depends on the CPU for whether you have a 32bit or 64bit system. Virtually all new computers have 64bit CPU's and their memory controllers can handle a lot more RAM. The 32bit version of Win7 and Win8 are there only so folks with older computers can upgrade.
#62221 by 4fishin
Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:21 am
May be a stupid question. I lost my hard drive on main system. Was able to save my drawings due to second hard drive backup. I still run DataCad 10. Have 12, but just never felt right. Have not upgraded to what now appears to be 16. I am going to purchase a new pc, will 10 still work with win7 and or win8 ?
#62222 by MtnArch
Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:41 am
While V10 will probably work okay, why not upgrade to V16 and help support Dcad LLC? The improvements that they've made throughout the years (how old is V10 now?!?!) are nothing short of AMAZING, and you don't have to use the new-fangled stuff unless you want to (and you SHOULD be using some of them!). When you upgrade you're helping support the company that's helped you pay the bills for all of these past years - let's help THEM pay some bills by keeping up the upgrades!
#62223 by ORWoody
Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 am
4fishin:
You should have no problem running 10 on the new system. I have generally tested every version back to Version 4 on Win 7 and Win 8 and all worked fine. Granted, I was only looking at 2D, but that is my bread and butter.
I doubt that many programs could boast that they are so cleanly written that they can work so well on so many legacy operating systems.
Here's my 2 cents worth of advice. If you move up with the operating system, move up with your DataCAD version also. V12 has so much more to offer than V10 that you will wonder why you never made the move. Of course, if you can make the move to V16, you can continue to work exactly as you have been or make use of stunning advances in some of the already great things that you like about V10. There are so many good things about Version 16 that even after having worked with DCAD for twenty six years, I get great big smiles regularly when I touch on another one.
My guess is that unless you were already using Win 7 or Win 8, that will be a more frustrating change than you can ever imagine. Win 8 makes me look forward to their next upgrade because I don't think that I could dislike something much more than I do that. It seems to always require clicks and no clicks in all of the places that were not that way on earlier versions. I have found that the same picks might take me to different locations based on where I have recently been. Or the screens will be different. Plus, one can go to places where there is absolutely not a single clue as to how to escape.
My most expensive and fastest computer would be left by the dumpster if I didn't realize the stupidity of that. Simple hate would be a move up because of that O.S.
But when I move out of that and begin working on DCAD Version 16, for awhile, I can forget what is there hiding in the background.
For me Version 16 on a Win 7 computer would be about as good as life gets.
Good luck,
Woody
#62228 by joshhuggins
Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:42 pm
Nick Pyner wrote:In the installation process the recommended default is 32Bit.
If you have a 64bit processor and 4 gigs of ram or more, always install the 64 bit OS, no matter what the setup says unless you have a mission critical piece of hardware that you absolutely can't get working. Period.
Nick Pyner wrote:I bought Win8 in order to free up an extra gig of memory but I followed the dots and it didn't work, so I was stuck with 3.25 Gb of RAM.
Will never see anything past 3-3.25 gigs with a 32 bit OS. Windows XP/Vista/7 would lie sometimes and show 4 if it could read the chips info correctly, but could never address the extra memory.
#62230 by 4fishin
Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:49 pm
Alan
On a side note, I understand how it is to support. I bought my first license in 1987 when the original developers were out of Charlotesville, VA. and ran it on an IBM AT with a speed up crystal to 8 mg. And even thought my wife worked at IBM at the time still spent over 6K on the pc. and a pen plotter. I did buy 12 when it came out, did not feel comfortable. Maybe I need to spend some time trying to work it and try 16. I am a one man shop. Produce or go hungry. Not a lot of time to play. I have been blessed to have been busy since going on my own January 1, 1990. But I appreciate the answers. Thanks.
#62232 by joshhuggins
Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:58 pm
It's not playing if it enhances your productivity for the rest of your career. It's called investing in yourself ;)
#62234 by Robert Scott
Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:31 pm
joshhuggins wrote:It's not playing if it enhances your productivity for the rest of your career. It's called investing in yourself ;)

Tell me V16 has a good roof modeler and I'll upgrade today....at least something as good as DataCAD Plus.

Robert
#62235 by MtnArch
Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:03 pm
Ahh yes ... our first computers!! I actually splurged and paid the extra for a 20mb hard drive for my first one (an Epson XT clone in 1984) - figuring I'd **never** fill it up!! My first DC version was V5 during the infamous "Fire Sale" time!

I, too, am a one-man-band - no worky no eaty (and our 16yo LOVES to eat!). The good thing with V16 is that you still have all of the functionality of what V10 had and can dabble whenever you get a chance with some of the new additions - no need to have to re-learn anything! Dave G. has done an amazing job in keeping everything we love about DC in there while adding the extra goodies.

4fishin wrote:Alan
On a side note, I understand how it is to support. I bought my first license in 1987 when the original developers were out of Charlotesville, VA. and ran it on an IBM AT with a speed up crystal to 8 mg. And even thought my wife worked at IBM at the time still spent over 6K on the pc. and a pen plotter. I did buy 12 when it came out, did not feel comfortable. Maybe I need to spend some time trying to work it and try 16. I am a one man shop. Produce or go hungry. Not a lot of time to play. I have been blessed to have been busy since going on my own January 1, 1990. But I appreciate the answers. Thanks.
#62245 by joshhuggins
Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 pm
Robert Scott wrote:Tell me V16 has a good roof modeler and I'll upgrade today....at least something as good as DataCAD Plus.
If that's the only thing that you can improve on with an upgrade, your WAY ahead of the rest of us ;) FWIW, I bet I could actually list enhancements for each version I'd bet that have more than paid for the cost of said upgrades.