Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#55776 by pjmerkl
Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:17 pm
I am upgrading my computer system. Is there any advantage to go from a 32bit machine to a 64bit machine? I will be using Datacad 14, also use 3dmax, and corel draw. If I stick with the 32bit I will use XP as my operating system but if I am going to 64 bit I will start using windows &. Which version of windows 7 should I get?

Thanks
PJ :?
#55782 by David A. Giesselman
Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:54 pm
PJ:

I use Windows 7 in both 32 & 64 bit versions here at home. Although DataCAD will not take advantage of the 64 bit environment, the ability to add more RAM certainly has advantages. I've not had any compatibility issues with the 64 bit version here at home with any of my peripherals, but that may be of consideration for you. If you can confirm that your printers, plotter, digitizer, etc. can be used by the 64 bit version, I'd recommend that route as long as you don't have any legacy DOS-based programs that you depend upon. Even with that, if you run the Pro version of Win7 64, you can get an XP emulator to support legacy software.

This is just my personal opinion, mind you, and not an endorsement by DATACAD LLC.

Regards,
Dave
#55787 by MtnArch
Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:35 pm
PJ -

Are you building/buying a completely new system or simply upgrading pieces of an existing box? If you're upgrading, there may be multiple issues (that both Dave and Neil bring up) that will influence what you decide upon.

As an FYI, I just purchased a Dell XPS 8300 system with an i7-2600 (3.4gHZ), 16gb RAM, 2TB HD, nVidia GT530 1GB card, wireless N, Win7 Pro, with a 23" LED monitor for $1,140 shipped, taxed and out the door. IMHO (unfortunately), it doesn't make sense any longer to upgrade existing boxes if you include cost. What a sad commentary that we are such a "throw-away" society now.

(As an aside ... the box that this one replaced will be re-purposed as a file server and future additional workstation, so no "landfill additive" here!)
#61160 by Rick@HHI
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:20 pm
We are currently running DataCAD V15 on Windows XP platform, and intend on updrading computers over next couple months to 64 bit Windows 7 platform. Will our current software work on NEW systems or will we need to get update?
#61161 by Mark Toce
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:51 pm
Rick@HHI wrote:We are currently running DataCAD V15 on Windows XP platform, and intend on updrading computers over next couple months to 64 bit Windows 7 platform. Will our current software work on NEW systems or will we need to get update?

DataCAD 15 runs on 64-bit Windows 7. You do not need to update DataCAD.
#61163 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:15 pm
Roger D wrote:Any comments on Win 8 & programs, I'd be interested.

AFAIK, DataCAD has been tested and proven to work on Win 8.

Dave
#61164 by Paul Nida
Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:57 pm
We have been using DCAD 15 on Windows 8 for about 7 months now. We have had very few problems with it so far. However some things seem to be a little slower, especially complex hatches like fieldstone.