Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#56603 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:54 pm
Hi,

I found this flash drive at MicroCenter and it is simply the best flash drive I know of: very simple with no moving parts, made from strong metal (stainless steel?) and it comes empty of any files or utilities. It is small and slim. The plastic eyelet on the back doubles as an activity light. It is called "easystore":

(click on image for link)

The 8GB unit costs $8.49 and the 16GB unit costs $17.99 At those prices, they are not going to sell many 4GB units. And if it came with a lanyard, and was USB 3.0 it would be perfect. It is USB 2.0 which is fine.
#56609 by Nick Pyner
Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:23 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote: made from strong metal (stainless steel?) .

Surely not?

_AA300_.jpg
_AA300_.jpg (1.39 KiB) Viewed 12655 times
#56611 by joshhuggins
Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:26 pm
Just order this bad boy this week from Newegg. I've been using the Survivor 2.0 16Giger for about 5 years now, it's as tough as they come. Got tired of them breaking off my keyring. The 2.0 was a little slow, but the specs on this 3.0 look really good. Should arrive this week. I'll post how speedy it is after a few tests.
#56612 by Neil Blanchard
Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:46 pm
The main body is made from metal, but yes the eyelet is made from plastic which seems to be fairly tough. It doubles as the activity light, as I also mentioned. The write speed is fairly slow, but I'll take toughness any day. No cap to lose, and no moving parts.